Uber Drivers Forum banner

Will you buy a permit?

• yes

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • no

Votes: 23 71.9%
21 - 40 of 60 Posts
The port will accept Ubers 1 million liability insurance. The permit fee is $50.00 and a $500.00 refundable security deposit. You must use the commercial entrance and the trip fee is $5.00 for a regular Uber vehicle. As of 1/17 you must have a transponder to pay the trip charge. Sun pass or E-pass works. I expect Uber to collect the trip fee as they do tolls from the passenger but I do not know that as fact.

From UBER:

"Thank you for reaching out. Happy to assist.
I have completed understand your concern regarding the permit fee. We are sorry that unfortunately unable to help you regarding this issue as the deduction is not from Uber side. We would like to suggest you to contact with the Port Canaveral Authority regarding this issue."

I'm not too worried about the $50 I paid since I can make that back in one trip though, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

PS- I was issued a written warning by a port authority agent a couple weeks ago at the Disney terminal for not having a permit, it could've been a $250 ticket!!

The information I posted in November is current with these updates. Uber does reimburse you the $5.00 entry fee and as of the new year you need a transponder from the port. Epass or Sun pass registered with the port is ok. You must also have an Uber sign in or on the front of your vehicle. The port charges for entrance to the terminals only not the cove area.

If you look through Uber's driver information ( look hard) you will find a printable version of Uber's Florida insurance policies. Go on the ports website and fill out the information they want to become a registered vendor/driver. Once they accept everything you will go to the transportation office to pay and get your sticker. Then ur good to go.

it's only a matter of time before all local agencies will want a cut of the action
Needless to say. Local governments and agencies have made a lot from other ground transportation over the years, defining, and taxing the rideshare folks who are displacing other is the only way they have to make up the revenue from the other providers who are declining

The port will accept Ubers 1 million liability insurance. The permit fee is $50.00 and a $500.00 refundable security deposit. You must use the commercial entrance and the trip fee is $5.00 for a regular Uber vehicle. As of 1/17 you must have a transponder to pay the trip charge. Sun pass or E-pass works. I expect Uber to collect the trip fee as they do tolls from the passenger but I do not know that as fact.
So how and when do you get the 500$ deposit back

I am not sure if this will change after July first I would check with the local authorities. And again I am not sure they can stop over from dropping off passengers , only picking them up this is the case here at the jax authority. But avian this will change after July first.

Here's the relevant porting of the new law Part 3b limits what they can do. No allowance for drop off fees.

(15) PREEMPTION.-
(a) It is the intent of the Legislature to provide for uniformity of laws
governing TNCs, TNC drivers, and TNC vehicles throughout the state.
TNCs, TNC drivers, and TNC vehicles are governed exclusively by state law,
including in any locality or other jurisdiction that enacted a law or created
rules governing TNCs, TNC drivers, or TNC vehicles before July 1, 2017. A
county, municipality, special district, airport authority, port authority, or
other local governmental entity or subdivision may not:
1. Impose a tax on, or require a license for, a TNC, a TNC driver, or a
TNC vehicle if such tax or license relates to providing prearranged rides;
2. Subject a TNC, a TNC driver, or a TNC vehicle to any rate, entry,
operation, or other requirement of the county, municipality, special district,
airport authority, port authority, or other local governmental entity or
subdivision; or
3. Require a TNC or a TNC driver to obtain a business license or any
other type of similar authorization to operate within the local governmental
entity's jurisdiction.
(b) This subsection does not prohibit an airport or seaport from charging
reasonable pickup fees consistent with any pickup fees charged to taxicab
companies at that airport or seaport for their use of the airport's or seaport's
facilities or prohibit the airport or seaport from designating locations for
staging, pickup, and other similar operations at the airport or seaport.

My layman interpretation means we can pick up at the port? maybe?

Could be the port will challenge it, who knows. They charge an arm and leg for everything and blow it on wasted buildings, cranes, and such...

Here's the relevant porting of the new law Part 3b limits what they can do. No allowance for drop off fees.

(15) PREEMPTION.-
(a) It is the intent of the Legislature to provide for uniformity of laws
governing TNCs, TNC drivers, and TNC vehicles throughout the state.
Yes, this is basically the goal of this new law that the state of Florida has generated to deal with the new concept of TNC'S such as Uber and Lyft.

However its important to note the very last part in the quote above "throughout the state".

What you fail to realize, that like any US Military base, US Embassy, Federal Courthouse, or even the US Post office facilities, once you enter those facilities/properties, you have physically left the state of Florida and set foot on federal property.

Port Canaveral is a federally administered property just like any military base, as in fact there is a US Navy Trident submarine facility on the north side of the Port.

Thus, as then federal law applies, and federal law supersedes any, and all, state laws. Your new and improved TNC laws that the state of Florida Legislature has so thoughtfully bowed down to Uber on, only applies within the borders of the state of Florida. Which is mainly why OIA/MCO/GOAA had to open up level 2 and create the B-52 side show, as the airport is now fully owned by the City of Orlando. As it was originally McCoy AFB many moons ago.

So if you believe you are driving in the state of Florida when you cross that asphalt into Port Canaveral, you are actually driving in state of confusion. The Port Authority can set any rate, or fee as they deem, to drop off, or to pick up, in any part of their terminal facilities. For the moment you need to acquire permits with a $500.00 deposit in only the cruise ship terminals, but that can change if you Uber people create a circus side show, as we now see at the B-52 parking area at MCO.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.