Will you buy a permit?

• yes

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • no

Votes: 23 71.9%

Port Canaveral Require $500 Permit

27K views 59 replies 26 participants last post by  Pogue 
#1 · (Edited)
Parking Authority and police are now stopping Uber drivers in Port Canaveral. Be aware they have the app and are watching for us. Be careful! For more info on what they require call or go see Jeff in the badging office over on Pompano off George King.

#10 ·
The port requires us to have proof of commercial insurance with limits of 1 million and the insurance certificate must have port Canaveral listed on it. Uber will not do this for us so I had to use my commercial policy. They do have the uber app and are also asking the guys who have stickers to point out uber cars who are there illegally. If they catch ubers in the Port without the sticker they will have Brevard County Sherriff's deputy trespass you. Also the sticker is 100.00 bucks and you must pay 3 or 5 bucks every time you pick up or drop off. 3 bucks for up to 4pax 5 bucks for 5 or more. So that is how it is at this point.

#8 ·
From http://www.portcanaveral.com/Cruise/Directions-Parking

My advice is since you're not a taxi, don't go in the taxi lines :)

Passenger / Luggage Drop-Off & Pick-Up
Arrival
For passenger safety, security, and convenience, please proceed directly to the cruise terminal to drop off passengers and baggage. Porters will assist you with your baggage, and parking personnel will direct drivers to the appropriate parking facility. All parking facilities are convenient, secure and patrolled 24 hours a day.

Passenger and luggage drop off is available in front of the terminal or in the parking facility.

Departure
Passengers have the option to retrieve their vehicles and pick up their companions and luggage in front of the terminal entrance or they can walk with their luggage to their vehicle and depart when ready.

#9 ·
http://www.portcanaveral.com/Cruise/Directions-Parking/Commercial-Transportation

Unless of course, they want all Ubers to register as commercial vehicles - then it's $100 + $3.0 per trip

Commercial Entry Lane

All commercial passenger vehicles must enter from the traffic signal at SR 401 and Charles M. Rowland Drive. Signage will be posted to help guide drivers to the correct destination.

Trip Fees Commercial Vehicles will be assessed with every entry to cruise terminals at Port Canaveral. Rates are per vehicle and may be paid with Visa, MasterCard or Prepaid Trip Tickets.

• Taxi - Metered Vehicles $ 2.50
  • Limousine - Up to 9 Passenger $ 3.00
  • Van - Up to 15 Passenger $ 5.00
  • Any Vehicle 16 to 28 Passenger $10.00
  • Any Vehicle 29 to 44 Passenger $12.00
  • Any Vehicle 45 or more Passenger $15.00
  • Pay lanes will accept Visa, Master Card or Prepaid Trip Tickets.
Pay lanes will accept Visa, MasterCard or Prepaid Trip Tickets.
Prepaid Trip Fee Tickets will be available for purchase at the Badging Office or the Staging Lot. Prepaid purchases can be made with Visa, MasterCard, checks, or money orders. Exact payment is needed. No change is provided.
  • Annual Decal - Companies providing Commercial Passenger Pick-ups must obtain an Annual Decal by January 1. Annual Decals, which replaces the old Vehicle Permits, will be valid for (1) calendar year from January through December. The fees for these decals will be based on the number of vehicles in a company's fleet. They may be purchased at the Port Canaveral Badging Office (321) 783-7831, ext 472.
  • Annual Decal Requirements - Proof of Insurance and registration will be required to obtain the Annual Decal. Company owners can pay in advance for the fleet. However, VIN numbers of each vehicle in the fleet will be required. Each Company Owner or Designee will be allowed to pick up its decal(s) from the Badging Office upon submittal of the required documents to Port Canaveral.
  • Online Interactive Application - A PDF for an interactive application for Commercial Vehicles or fleet should be completed by the company owner and all vehicles within the company should be listed. This PDF should be completed by the company owner and all vehicles within the company should be listed. Companies or vehicles which fail to purchase the Annual Decal will be restricted from performing pick-ups at the cruise terminals in Port Canaveral.
Table of Rates
  • 01-10 Vehicles $ 100.00
  • 11-24 Vehicles $ 200.00
  • 25-49 Vehicles $ 300.00
  • 50-99 Vehicles $ 400.00
  • 100 or more $ 600.00 Bottom of Form
Driver Permits or Placards no longer will be required. As of Nov. 1, 2011, Port Canaveral implemented trip fees for all commercial passenger vehicles.

Annual Vehicle Decals must be in place by January 1st, 2012 for all companies wishing to perform prearranged services at Port Canaveral. Existing Vehicle Permits expiring prior to January 2012 may be renewed and will be valid from day of issuance through December 2012. All other existing vehicle permits must be renewed before January 1, 2012.

Most of the companies listed here are in Brevard County, where Port Canaveral is located, or in the nearby Orlando area. However, we have included a few companies from other areas of Florida, to give customers transportation choices close to their arrival and/or departure points.

#15 ·
Nice, care to share any details about having commercial insurance to use that might be considering doing it? I assume that the reason for you though was your other occasional freight requirements?

I had an rider take a second trip from me to and from Home Depot after realizing I had the room and was OK with it. Got a nice tip too. Only did it because they were in a pinch and easy to get along with. There are some really nice people out there, now and then haha.

#21 ·
The port will accept Ubers 1 million liability insurance. The permit fee is $50.00 and a $500.00 refundable security deposit. You must use the commercial entrance and the trip fee is $5.00 for a regular Uber vehicle. As of 1/17 you must have a transponder to pay the trip charge. Sun pass or E-pass works. I expect Uber to collect the trip fee as they do tolls from the passenger but I do not know that as fact.

#25 · (Edited)
From UBER:

"Thank you for reaching out. Happy to assist.
I have completed understand your concern regarding the permit fee. We are sorry that unfortunately unable to help you regarding this issue as the deduction is not from Uber side. We would like to suggest you to contact with the Port Canaveral Authority regarding this issue."

I'm not too worried about the $50 I paid since I can make that back in one trip though, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

PS- I was issued a written warning by a port authority agent a couple weeks ago at the Disney terminal for not having a permit, it could've been a $250 ticket!!

#27 ·
The information I posted in November is current with these updates. Uber does reimburse you the $5.00 entry fee and as of the new year you need a transponder from the port. Epass or Sun pass registered with the port is ok. You must also have an Uber sign in or on the front of your vehicle. The port charges for entrance to the terminals only not the cove area.

#29 ·
If you look through Uber's driver information ( look hard) you will find a printable version of Uber's Florida insurance policies. Go on the ports website and fill out the information they want to become a registered vendor/driver. Once they accept everything you will go to the transportation office to pay and get your sticker. Then ur good to go.

#35 ·
I am not sure if this will change after July first I would check with the local authorities. And again I am not sure they can stop over from dropping off passengers , only picking them up this is the case here at the jax authority. But avian this will change after July first.

#36 ·
Here's the relevant porting of the new law Part 3b limits what they can do. No allowance for drop off fees.

(15) PREEMPTION.-
(a) It is the intent of the Legislature to provide for uniformity of laws
governing TNCs, TNC drivers, and TNC vehicles throughout the state.
TNCs, TNC drivers, and TNC vehicles are governed exclusively by state law,
including in any locality or other jurisdiction that enacted a law or created
rules governing TNCs, TNC drivers, or TNC vehicles before July 1, 2017. A
county, municipality, special district, airport authority, port authority, or
other local governmental entity or subdivision may not:
1. Impose a tax on, or require a license for, a TNC, a TNC driver, or a
TNC vehicle if such tax or license relates to providing prearranged rides;
2. Subject a TNC, a TNC driver, or a TNC vehicle to any rate, entry,
operation, or other requirement of the county, municipality, special district,
airport authority, port authority, or other local governmental entity or
subdivision; or
3. Require a TNC or a TNC driver to obtain a business license or any
other type of similar authorization to operate within the local governmental
entity's jurisdiction.
(b) This subsection does not prohibit an airport or seaport from charging
reasonable pickup fees consistent with any pickup fees charged to taxicab
companies at that airport or seaport for their use of the airport's or seaport's
facilities or prohibit the airport or seaport from designating locations for
staging, pickup, and other similar operations at the airport or seaport.

#40 ·
Here's the relevant porting of the new law Part 3b limits what they can do. No allowance for drop off fees.

(15) PREEMPTION.-
(a) It is the intent of the Legislature to provide for uniformity of laws
governing TNCs, TNC drivers, and TNC vehicles throughout the state.
Yes, this is basically the goal of this new law that the state of Florida has generated to deal with the new concept of TNC'S such as Uber and Lyft.

However its important to note the very last part in the quote above "throughout the state".

What you fail to realize, that like any US Military base, US Embassy, Federal Courthouse, or even the US Post office facilities, once you enter those facilities/properties, you have physically left the state of Florida and set foot on federal property.

Port Canaveral is a federally administered property just like any military base, as in fact there is a US Navy Trident submarine facility on the north side of the Port.

Thus, as then federal law applies, and federal law supersedes any, and all, state laws. Your new and improved TNC laws that the state of Florida Legislature has so thoughtfully bowed down to Uber on, only applies within the borders of the state of Florida. Which is mainly why OIA/MCO/GOAA had to open up level 2 and create the B-52 side show, as the airport is now fully owned by the City of Orlando. As it was originally McCoy AFB many moons ago.

So if you believe you are driving in the state of Florida when you cross that asphalt into Port Canaveral, you are actually driving in state of confusion. The Port Authority can set any rate, or fee as they deem, to drop off, or to pick up, in any part of their terminal facilities. For the moment you need to acquire permits with a $500.00 deposit in only the cruise ship terminals, but that can change if you Uber people create a circus side show, as we now see at the B-52 parking area at MCO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.