1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Please help me understand what just happened

Discussion in 'Surge' started by GrinsNgiggles, Oct 28, 2016.

1. GrinsNgiggles

GrinsNgiggles Well-Known Member

IMG_0149.PNG Sitting in the middle of a good surge. SMACK DAB IN IT! I get 3 back to back pings 11 and 12 minutes away NO SURGE. I take my uber time out and get back online. Still in the surge and the same exact thing happens. What am I missing?? I walk away empty handed :mad::mad::(:(

TWO2SEVEN, Barbj379 and tohunt4me like this.
  2. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Riders are dropping pins outside of surge area to defraud Uber drivers, or waiting until surge ends. Or all other Uber drivers are also ignoring outside surge pings so it cycled to you. This is starting to become common these days unfortunately

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    brendon292, tohunt4me and agtg like this.
  3. phillipzx3

phillipzx3 Well-Known Member

Defraud drivers? You mean like how they try to avoid paying 3 times what it would cost them to take a cab? ;-)

Funny how Uber drivers feel they'll deserve to make a fair wage. But cabs? Cabs are the bad guys for wanting to earn a living by charging a fixed rate.

Pot, meet kettle.

4. GrinsNgiggles

You kinda went waaaay out in left field with that one. Yes, everyone deserves a fair wage. No, it's not funny. Welcome to capitalism, supply & demand, and reality. Adjust accordingly when a new idea affects your business. This is with any business. You have to adjust to competition and new ideas constantly or your business will fail. You can't blame the new idea/business for your lack of innovation.

My question was a serious one as I didn't understand what actually happened. You offered no added value with your response.

5. agtg

agtg Well-Known Member

A 3x surge would equal what a cab would charge, so you're numbers are wrong from the start.

me2, brendon292, Daisey77 and 3 others like this.

6. agtg

agtg Well-Known Member

Steve is correct, but it's also possible that people in the surge zone are waiting it out and the only people pinging cars are outside the zone. If you ever get drawn to a ping just outside of a surge by accident, and the rider isn't there, but they call and give you directions elsewhere, don't move. Wait 5 minutes and cancel rider no show to collect the fee.

7. GrinsNgiggles

Sadly there is no cancellation fee where I am. We lose money when a rider cancels. It's quite annoying.

tohunt4me likes this.
  8. Shangsta

Shangsta Well-Known Member

Hes a disgruntled cab driver, butt hurt Uber drivers are taking some of his fares Just ignore him

brendon292, Daisey77 and tohunt4me like this.
  9. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

Uber loves when drivers fail.

10. shiftydrake

shiftydrake Well-Known Member

No I doubt he is hurting just stating fact.....you guys actually beginning to realize why cabs charge what they charge

observer and tohunt4me like this.
  11. martnov

martnov Member

Let me see if I understand. If their is a surge than uber drivers create pins as if they were pax outside of the surge to take out their competition?

12. steveK2016

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Typo, common sense would dictated that I meant Rider as the Rider is the one that would be dropping a pin...

GrinsNgiggles likes this.
  13. hung

hung Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    He's trying to tell you... rookies are gonna make your type of mistakes. As you become more experienced, learn to play the game or the game will play you. Eat or be eaten. ;) lol

14. GrinsNgiggles

Who made a mistake and what was this mistake?

15. hung

hung Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Walking away empty handed

16. GrinsNgiggles

Better than taking a ride 12 minutes outside the surge to take a loss. So what would you have done? How would you have ensured you got a ping with the surge?

17. steveK2016

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I wouldn't have accept it and waited for a surge.

Shangsta likes this.
  18. hung

hung Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Go to a bar, get a large alcoholic drink, and reassess (your life) why any of us are doing Uber for a weasel-looking CEO
    Oh, yeah. Wait it out for another surge while enjoying a drink.

19. steveK2016

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I never said you made a mistake...

20. GrinsNgiggles

Sorry wrong quote :rolleyes: