1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

PDB discontinued in my area.

Discussion in 'Lyft' started by Fresnouber, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Fresnouber

Fresnouber New Member

We were informed this week that the PDB has been discontinued in my area. They said they will use the money elsewhere to help us with rides.
    Does this mean we will finally get some guaranteed hours? Halloween Saturday was the only time ( 7 months with Lyft) that they offered us a guarantee.

Anyone have any similar experience in other markets?

JTR likes this.
  2. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Uberification: complete

Luber4.9 and KMANDERSON like this.
  3. elelegido

elelegido Well-Known Member

... which is why I would never invest money in a newer 2011+ car to get the PDP. Like any offer from Uberlyft - can be withdrawn at any time, with no notice.

4. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Surely theres some unpopular 4yo Ford or Chevy or Dodge models that are only worth several thousand w/ high miles and/or repaired damage that didnt ever get reported and therefore isnt a salvage title despite clearly deserving it

If the PDB alone (or any other soyrce of higher rates it creates --- XL/Plus, Select/Premier, etc.) lets you pay the car off in several months, then (and only then) it does make sense

5. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Simply a matter of NEVER LYUBER A CAR THATS NOT RAPIDLY PAYING FOR ITSELF

Danny3xd likes this.

6. DoUHaveAnyWater?

DoUHaveAnyWater? Well-Known Member

Surely such cars exist. But if you buy such a car for 9 or 10 grand on Monday and then on Tuesday Lyft says no more PDP then you just paid 9 or 10 grand for an undesirable car which will be hard to sell and would make no more fare money than a 2005 clunker.

It's all about risk - there might be another week of PDP for any given market, or a month, or a year, or more. It's a total crapshoot.

7. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Not 9-10.... 9-10 is German Select territory

Im saying $3-4k

Or $5k if it brings an additional vehicle class to the table

grams777 likes this.
  8. DoUHaveAnyWater?

If you see a 2012 with clean title that runs and looks presentable for $3-4k, seriously, let me know.

leroy jenkins likes this.
  9. Jimmy Bernat

Jimmy Bernat Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I've seen some Ford focus and nissan versus 2012 newer for under $5k on clist and seen them sell for $2k at auctions

10. KMANDERSON

KMANDERSON Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    They will eventually do away with PDB.They still have it in my city,but ride and peak ride count went up.

11. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    ^
    ^
    ^
    What Jim said

12. Jo3030

Jo3030 Well-Known Member

Lyft is trying to not lose that much money.

JTR likes this.
  13. DoUHaveAnyWater?

Focus transmission = question of when, not if. Versa would be ok though. Do you have the name of a good auction place?

14. fairsailing

fairsailing Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    PDB not gone yet here. But they have started to send out:

x number of weekly rides for y incentive dollars.

They send them out to select drivers, some with older cars, some with newer. I think this is the future. So far, these offers have not had the 90% acceptance requirement, but that could change at any time. I think this is what will replace PDB, it gives them more control on how they spend, or not spend, their incentive money. Not sure if they will even bother to have a newer car incentive, theoretically, crappy cars (or drivers for that matter) of any age will get failed out by riders as low rated drivers get deactivated.

15. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    There is a public auto auction pretty regularly in North Denver Pacific Auto auction , and then there are other ones that happen regularly as well that are open to the public . I wouldn't buy a car at auction unless you're some what of a garage mechanic

If you get a focus with a manual you're in the clear , the auto is where the problem is . I wouldn't touch either of those cars , i hate little eco box cars lol

16. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Nissan Versa, seriously?

Just how horrible of a car are you willing to drive???

Remember you're planning to spend much of your waking life in that box...

17. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    See that's why I sacrifice a bit of gas milage and a little more cost for the car to enjoy it . I spend a lot of time in my car needs to be comfortable

18. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    That's why I think that Select or XL vehicles are what non-casual drivers should consider

PS for anybody just skimming this thread: NO NOT NEW ONES. OLDER CHEAPIES ONLY!!

leroy jenkins and wk1102 like this.
  19. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    You can get decent xl and select qualifying vehicles for under $10k

20. DoUHaveAnyWater?

I rented a Sentra not so long ago. It was actually pretty good. Assuming Versa may not be that bad.