1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

PAX was a girl sneaking out of her parents' house

Discussion in 'Stories' started by Phillip Jones, Jan 8, 2017.

1. DelaJoe

DelaJoe Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I have taken minors in my Uber...lots of divorced parents out there use Uber to shuttle the kids between houses and avoid contact with the ex.

2. Squirming Like A Toad

Squirming Like A Toad Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I get that all the time in the rich suburbs. Fell for it once, never again. Out of my van! If they are sneaking out you are abetting juvenile delinquency which is illegal.

Also, given their destinations and the fact that it is usually a girl I know she is going someplace to get ****** by a ****** which ****** me off on a different level.

Graham_DC likes this.
  3. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Not a great idea to take them. On the off chance something happens, uber insurance doesn't cover them. Then your insurance would drop you for driving commercially, then liability falls on the driver.

4. Notch Johnson

Notch Johnson New Member

So maybe the thing to do in contact the pax through the app for verification, If they don't answer then no go.

5. ShawnsUber

ShawnsUber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Well, I'm sure this will piss some folks off but I have a different view on this I think then most.

I was a screw up kid, snuck parents cars out starting at 13 on a regular basis. Would get absolutely wasted and sometimes not even remember where the car OR I was the night before. I was VERY lucky I didn't kill someone else, myself, or get a DUI. In that order.

So here are MY rules about picking up minors. Never during normal day time hours.
    I'd rather risk a judge/jury for taking a minor somewhere safely after they were responsible enough to call Uber vs the alternative.

I'm a parent of twin 8 year olds, boy/girl. Both my X and I agree that Uber should get thier act together regarding family plans. I already take 4 kids to and from school every day, the parents pay me whatever on the down low, Uber isn't involved and I have a simple waiver they sign ( just that I'm another parent helping out and they agree to assume all liability should something happen).

Kids are a HUGE market. Like HUGE. I wouldn't ship my 8 yo's around in an Uber but I sure as hell would once they hit thier teens.

6. RamzFanz

RamzFanz Well-Known Member

Believe what you want.

7. RamzFanz

I've had a few trips that were clearly groups of girls having a sleep over and sneaking out. They both lurked in the dark a few houses down and then popped out to flag me down rushing to get in.

Girls will be girls.

Tr4vis Ka1anick likes this.
  8. RamzFanz

Working illegally for cash without insurance is a terrible idea. Waivers mean little in the best of circumstances and nothing at all when you're committing a crime.

9. TheWanderer

If you are driving with a minor and a hit and run occurs, the pax violates the terms and conditions. Who else is the pax going to get money from? Assuming you don't have timeshare Insurrance. You think an insurrance company is going to tell the passengers parents, "even though you agreed to the t&c regarding minors cannot use the service alone, we will still pay for any medical bills." if you really think that highly of an Insurrance company you are clearly more naive than I thought.
    If there is some way an Insurrance company will get out of paying for anything, they will definitely try.

10. RamzFanz

So you believe that in the entire history of Uber no unaccompanied minor has been in an accident, wasn't covered by James River, and it didn't make the news? In over 2 billion rides?

This is almost all myth. Insurance companies are heavily regulated and have written policies. They simply pay what they owe almost every single time. Uber has made payouts that were in the news where they weren't actually liable.

So, let me make this easy: The driver is insured, not the passenger. It makes no difference what the passenger did do or did not do. They pay for the driver's liability, uninsured motorist, and conditional collision, it has nothing to do with the passenger.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017 at 1:04 AM
  11. TheWanderer

I never said uber doesn't pay. I said the Insurrance does not. Not sure if you know this but uber is not James river.
    Technically the liability falls on the driver.

Attached Files:

12. RamzFanz

Which means nothing. The driver didn't agree to that and it's the driver's insurance.

The driver is insured, not the passenger. It makes no difference what the passenger did do or did not do. They pay for the driver's liability, uninsured motorist, and conditional collision, it has nothing to do with the passenger.

13. TheWanderer

Lol you are so silly. I bet you think a verbal contract between 2 people is also binding if the other person claims they did not agree. Assuming there is no recording evidence

14. RamzFanz

You don't understand insurance. Liability is liability is liability. If the driver is liable, the insurance pays, period. Who the passenger is and whether they are a minor or even not the pax you were supposed to pick up, they have to pay. Even if someone has stolen someone elses account, they have to pay. It's a contract.

Show me ONE time James River didn't pay when they were supposed to, because it was a minor, because the driver had the wrong pax, or because it was a hacked account. Just once will do. One out of two billion rides is enough to convince me.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017 at 1:31 AM
  15. TheWanderer

Lol you are silly and naive.
    I am sorry to for the bad news but the tooth fairy isn't real as well. It was your parents who put that money uber your pillow.

16. RamzFanz

I'm waiting for your single example out of 2 billion rides or any evidence at all. You could even try to explain how what a pax does wipes out the driver's insurance. Use your big boy words.

Candi likes this.
  17. TheWanderer

Santa isn't real as well.
    Don't worry though, it is still a fun holiday.

18. observer

observer Moderator Moderator

Depends on the state, in CA you cannot pick up unaccompanied minors.

CPUC Rules and Regulations

The CPUC has identified additional requirements for people interested in becoming TNC partners.  It is important for you to become familiar with these requirements.  Please take 5 minutes to view the required video training below to make sure you’re knowledgeable about these rules and regulations.

Trade dress now required in front and rear windshields:

The CPUC requires that all TNC partners display the Uber trade dress in two locations whenever online. You must display trade dress in both the front windshield on the passenger side and the back windshield on the passenger side. Having Uber trade dress helps riders quickly identify your car so you can start the trip on time. Please be aware that failure to display trade dress on both front and rear windshields when online can result in a ticket and fine of up to $1,000.  

Need additional Uber trade dress? You can pick up a trade dress by visiting our Uber Greenlight Hub or by visiting any of our Uber Greenlight Spots. To locate your nearest Greenlight Hub or Greenlight Spot, visit www.ubermovement.com and search for your city in the upper righthand corner.

Self-reporting vehicle mileage:

In California, all TNC vehicles must complete a 19-point vehicle inspection every 12 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The 50,000-mile requirement includes miles driven when not logged into the partner app. As such, we require all partners to self-report their vehicle mileage. Be on the lookout for how to report your mileage in the partner app.

Rules and regulations video training:

The CPUC has identified additional requirements for people interested in becoming TNC partners. It is important for you to become familiar with these requirements. Please take 5 minutes to view the required video training below to make sure you’re knowledgeable about these rules and regulations.

CPUC information requests:

The CPUC requires us to notify partners in California that consent is not needed for the disclosure of a partner’s information to the CPUC. See CPUC Decision 16-04-041 at 3.

In California, additional rules also apply, which include the following:

Unaccompanied minors:

In California, due to CPUC requirements, you cannot transport an unaccompanied minor on trips arranged through the Uber app. Keep in mind that in California, a rider must be over 18 to sign up for an Uber account, but if you believe a rider might be underage, you can ask them to confirm their age and let them know that you will have to cancel the trip if they are indeed under 18. In addition, you can report requests to transport unaccompanied minors by submitting in-app feedback.

19. RamzFanz

That's what I thought. You can't.

Thanks for playing.

Grahamcracker likes this.
  20. dmarusa

dmarusa New Member

See attached pic....

Attached Files: