1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Orlando Black Car eliminated by Uber

Discussion in 'Licensed' started by Shine'ola, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Shine'ola

Shine'ola Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberPREMIUM
    Uber eliminated Black Car services in Orlando last Thursday right as the hurricane was bearing down on Florida. Coincidence ???? I don't think for a second it was a coincidence, Uber intentionally used the timeing knowing that news outlets would be overwhelmed with hurricane news. So Uber demoted the permitted, commercially insured, Black cars to the lowest paying Select in the country, $1.65 a mile. The only place riders could request Black Car service is and was Orlando International Airport (MCO). Every vehicle for hire leaving the airport has to pay MCO $3.30, Uber does not collect/charge the rider for this and the minimum fare was dropped from $20 to $11. Uber of course wants the only cars with permits (only allowed for pick ups at MCO) to continue picking up Uber riders at MCO for them at the same rates newly promoted Camry, Accords, Edge, and a bunch of other everyday cars now get on Select request throughout the city.

2. OlDirtySapper

OlDirtySapper Active Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    One more example of the stupidity of Uber. Why would the largest convention city in the US need black car??? I was wondering why my aunt was telling me I couldnt get an uber from MCO. I forget that she would only use black.

3. mrlasvegas

mrlasvegas Active Member

When did Orlando become the largest convention city in the US?

4. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
  5. I Drive Select

I Drive Select Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Not sure when, but Orlando has over twice the convention space than Las Vegas. The Strip is more condensed, and probably is leader as far as event space VS area, but as a whole, Orange County, FL (Orlando) serves by far more convention goers and has more convention space.

6. OlDirtySapper

OlDirtySapper Active Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    When they built a like 10 city block convention center on top of all the other **** they already had there. It's also the new San Francisco if you are a gay man. I am gussing thats a side effect of all the convention and service jobs tho.

7. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Disney is one of the friendliest employers for LGBT people in the country, and Disney directly employees about 60,000 people in Orlando.

But back to the convention center...
    Some history, The OCCC was funded entirely by a 4% hotel room tax implemented for "tourism improvement" in the 70s.
    The residents of the county put nothing into the convention center and it is funded entirely on Hotel room taxes (as is the citrus bowl)

according to Wiki
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_County_Convention_Center
    On average, the OCCC hosts approximately one million delegates annually and provides a $1.9 billion total economic impact annually to the Central Florida economy, all at no cost to Orange County Citizens (OCCC is funded by a "tourist development tax" collected on hotel guests).[4]

Most conventions, and virtually all the biggest, are scheduled to occur during the tourist slow seasons. When the hotels and restaurants aren't as busy.

The Orlando Convention business grew out of the question of what the heck to do with all these empty hotels 7 months a year...

There's a lot of smaller venues aside from the OCCC (Orange County Convention Center). Large hotels generally have some kind of Conference space, and they can sell these packages for relatively cheap and the hotels themselves can book a lot more rooms than they would otherwise be able to fill.

Who goes to Disney world in February?
    Who would go a trade show in February that happens to be in Orlando?

It's this massive industry that causes the taxi\luxury town car business season in Orlando to not be the summer season but the convention season... go figure huh.