1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

No Surge Allowed West of the Cedar River

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids' started by CRUbering, Oct 12, 2016.

1. CRUbering

CRUbering New Member

Im not sure anyone will even read this as it doesn't look like many Cedar Rapidians actually use this forum but here goes. Am I the only who has noticed that since the flood Uber prices have never surged on the west side? I noticed the week of the flood that they had obviously turned surging ability off on both sides and I'm just assuming all of this was related to that. All that really did was frustrate riders because drivers weren't on the road because they were worried they'd have to go 45 minutes from one side to the other while I380 was the only way to get from east to west of the river. A week later, surging came back to the east side but ever since then it never surges on the west side. From what I can see it looks like this is causing artificial surges on the east side because people on the east side aren't necessarily going online because they are worried they are going to be sent 10 to 20 minutes away to the west side. I really think something isn't working right. Maybe it's the new dynamic pricing that has caused this. What ever it is, I find it very hard to believe that no one on the west side ever needs to get somewhere and wants to pay extra, causing a surge to bring drivers online to the west side. Anyone else out there thinking the same thing but just didn't want to admit this has changed (at least a little) bit their decision of when to go online?

Dback2004 likes this.
  2. Jufkii

Jufkii Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Hello CRUbering. Agree with all you wrote. Plus have noticed surge areas on the east side have shrunk in size as well. Tougher to catch a surge anywhere anymore.. My guess about the west side's lack of surge is a result of Uber's master plan to eliminate or at least scale back surge in every city. We're seeing a direct result of it here in CR now as well.. PAX have told me about notifications from Uber explaining the rate increase to 85 cents as a way to cut down on surge as well. Can only hope more drivers here do as I do and boycott/refuse 90 percent of these mostly unprofitable west side base fare only ride requests. Wishful thinking perhaps , but only then it may someday surge on the west side again. What's mostly changed for me from all of this is my weekly acceptance rates. They keep plummeting to new weekly lows as a result of these ever increasing ,non surge,longer ETA ride requests. So it goes but I refuse to operate at a loss. Good luck .

CRUbering likes this.
  3. Shadowcc

Shadowcc New Member

Yeah it dosn't surge on the west side anymore. I've been declining rides like a champ since it's not worth it to drive 10+ mins to pick up a pax and make only 3 dollars in fairs.

CRUbering likes this.
  4. CRUbering

CRUbering New Member

Thanks JufkiiJufkii and ShadowccShadowcc for confirming I'm not the only one rejecting those rides. I find it more than coincidental that at the same time this began, they changed how we see our ratings information so the acceptance percentage smacks you in the face each time. My "Requests Accepted" percentage continues to drop. I think it's no mistake that the one statistic that is missing from the "Top Partners" comparison is the rate acceptance percentages of other partners because they don't want us to know how low everyone else's are so as to then make us think it's OK not to accept those ridiculously unprofitable rides 10 to 20 minutes away. I'm not greedy by any means but I'm certainly not in it to LOSE money which is what most often happens when you accept a PAX more than 10 minutes away.

Jufkii likes this.
  5. Jufkii

Jufkii Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Proud of you for doing that. Keep it up . Decline Decline Decline is the new mantra

6. CRUbering

CRUbering New Member

Finally! I see that this Saturday afternoon surges are once again allowed on the west side. Hopefully that will bring more drivers back online and not require so many turndowns for lengthy pickups. Not joking when I say I declined 6 trips in a row on Friday afternoon because they were all 15+ away on the west side when I was practically in Marion at the time. I am sure I'll have a friendly email coming my way from Uber.