1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

New car discounts?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by dbznokia, Dec 25, 2016.

1. dbznokia

dbznokia New Member

Thinking of doing Uber and timing with purchase of new car. Do they do discounted/lease deals in OZ like in the US?

What do people recommend as a small car?

2. UXDriver

UXDriver Well-Known Member

Buying a car for uber
    Hahaha

3. UberDriverAU

UberDriverAU Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    What sort of time and kms do you intend to put into such a venture? The more you intend to do, the less wise it is buying a new car to use for Uber. Having someone else pay the early years depreciation is perfect imho.

GPH likes this.
  4. dbznokia

dbznokia New Member

Except, I'm not. I am thinking of doing Uber which happens to coincide with the purchase of a new car.

It's not my primary income, so maybe around 20hrs/week.

5. dcc.

dcc. Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    20hrs a week will run you about 400kms, or 20,000kms a year, on top of your normal usage (Australian average is 15,000km per year).

Just make sure you factor this into your calculations.

I completely understand that "doing Uber happens to coincide with the purchase of a new car", but personally if I were you, my logic would be "because I am about to start doing Uber, I'm going to forego the new car and just by a 5yr old Camry".

There's Uber Marketplace, but you'll find that it's cheaper to find a good deal yourself. Zero percent financing with some companies at the moment, Toyota comes to mind.

Cheap: Hyundai i30 / Corolla
    Handling: Mazda 3
    Luxury / Build Quality: Golf
    + new Honda Civic looks really good.

Personally I drive a Mazda 3, base model, got a great deal on it and worked out to be equally cheap as the other cheap options.

6. dbznokia

dbznokia New Member

Some great suggestions, thanks I'll also consider some of those models in 2nd hand to see if there is enough of a price difference to just go second hand instead.

7. GPH

GPH Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I'm not aware of any discounts for business , other than "Fleet".
    why do you specifically want a "small" car?
    surely if you're driving it for Uber in addition to buying a car for domestic use, the added income would be justification for upgrading to a larger (but still reasonably fuel efficient) more comfortable / suitable car?

8. dbznokia

dbznokia New Member

Because we already have a SUV so I don't need another larger car. That and a longer car won't fit in the garage in the spot I park due to some stuff I've got stored in front.

9. GPH

GPH Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Ok, good point. I only ask as I have 3 cars, ( well 4 if you include my MGB ) and prefer to use my SUV for Uber, more space etc

10. UberDriverAU

Driving:
    UberX
    In my experience, 20 hours per week would be more like ~700 km/week or ~36,400 km/year. This kind of mileage is going to absolutely kill the value of any new car. Even an additional 20,000 km won't be great. A used i30/Mazda 3/Corolla that's 3-4 years old with relatively low kms is a wise choice I think.

11. dcc.

dcc. Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Whoa, where are you driving (and also how much money do you make???!!).

I'm from Sydney, airport area, so perhaps therein lies the difference.
    BUT I WOULD KILL TO DRIVE 350KM IN A TEN HOUR SHIFT THAT WOULD BE SO MUCH $$$$$$$$$$.

12. UberDriverAU

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm from Perth, but don't forget we get substantially lower rates that you guys:

Base: $2.00 vs $2.50 (20% less)
    Time ($/min): $0.32 vs $0.40 (20% less)
    Distance ($/km): $1.00 vs $1.45 (31.03% less)

I tend to drive more at night time when there's less traffic, so that's probably why my average speed is higher.

dcc. likes this.