Uber Drivers Forum banner

Lyft rider passed out, I called police

4K views 54 replies 25 participants last post by  JimKE 
#1 ·
She wasn't moving and I shakes her numerous times and couldn't even feel a pulse. I called lyft but they said it's up to me what to do and recommended I call non emergency line. I was nervous because my rating is only a 4.6 right now and I didn't want to be responsible for anything. The police told me to lay her down on her back and as I did that she woke up and then got her phone, smiled and ran to to the hotel. I don't know if I was overreacting but this hasn't happened to me before, so I wanted to make sure that nothing happened and that I wasn't responsible.

#31 ·
I don't touch PAX. you shouldn't touch PAX. "." Your country's stupid LAW does not care of your intent. You touch PAX. You are liable to the person's whatever the claim. You could end up with attempted rape or assault. Calling 911 was good. Only because it keeps a legal record of you informing of PAX's condition prior to attempting anything.

1. don't let drunk who doesn't have control over their body in the car. Cancel
2. if you have a unconscious one, go to destination and either wait it out or let the people in the house take the PAX out.
It took 15 minutes to get one PAX out of my car. AC, Loud voice, Loud Music, leave the door open so PAX can accidentally flip out. Do whatever but I would not touch PAX. Never.

Good Samaritans get sued or get killed. You are there to keep food on the table. Remember that.

#36 ·
Message from Lyft,

"It's up to you because you're an independent contractor! But we decide the rates, the routes for payment, the car, the policies, the cleaning fees, the allocation of calls, and just about everything else. However, this time, you're on your own. If the passenger is dead, perhaps it's your fault."

Cheers,

Lyft

#42 ·
The proper place as said is the Cartoid Artery on the sides of the throat, and the wrists.

Same place an EMT would check. Also to note is that if a person is breathing, they have a pulse to be sure.

NEVER, ever, try to give CPR if the person is breathing, EVER.

Also for the paranoid among us there is actually a VERY REAL LAW that if a person is in a serious medical condition YOU are protected BY LAW if you were trying to save thier life. No, I'm not going to look it up for anyone as you can google just as well as me.

#43 ·
If they are too shitfaced that they look like they'll pass out or puke, why are you picking them up in the first place?

I don't do bar closings but even late night if they look like they're going to be a problem, I drive on by and cancel.

2500+ rides, ZERO pukers/ZERO pax almost dead.

#47 ·
If you see someone breathing, you don't need to check their pulse. They are alive. Anyone passed out drunk would probably smell like alcohol. And a really tired sleepy person would probably wake up groggily, not just jump up and run.
Light breathing, not alcohol smell: Sounds like she nodded out on heroin or other opiate. When yr passed out drunk, you don't just get up like that. When you come out of a nod though, you can be awake again like nothing. Not even having any sense of the time passing during the nod. As far as you know, it is now 1 second later than whenever you nodded, even if it's been ten minutes. She comes to, see's her destination outside, and life goes on (oh, sweet sweet H). If the lips are blue, you call 911 while driving to the hospital. Or just start slapping and threatening to take to the hospital. I've seen this work. Nothing a junky fears worse than being stuck in an institution where they may not be able to score in time. They can hear with blue lips, you just have to say the right motivating thing for it to register. And slapping. Getting slapped in the face is a good adrenalin stimulator. That's what all my girlfriends told me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.