1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Lyft passenger tip average

Discussion in 'Lyft' started by macchiato, Jan 5, 2017.

1. macchiato

macchiato Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    So Lyft sent us our total tips for 2016.

What was your tip average per ride? I'll go first.

$0.62

Kind of puts it into perspective that tips are hardly worth anything. We've often heard drivers say that Lyft is better than Uber because they allow tips and yet to me Lyft is marginally 62 cents better.

fairsailing and JTR like this.
  2. uberpa

uberpa Well-Known Member

I don't take pings over 4 min eta on lyft. Lyft lies big there!

JTR and macchiato like this.
  3. macchiato

Driving:
    Lyft
    Once we get a bigger sample size, we can get a better idea of how much tip per ride drivers across the country average.

4. LEAFdriver

LEAFdriver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    $1.03 per ride.

This is what I told Uber PAX that I'd be happy with....if I just got $1 tip per ride. But it was still just too much to ask from most Uber pax.

So now I just drive LYFT.

5. supernaut

supernaut Well-Known Member

Where is this information available? I didn't get an email or anything.

6. macchiato

Driving:
    Lyft
    I got mine this afternoon through email.

7. supernaut

supernaut Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll check my junk and spam folders. :D

UberTrucker likes this.
  8. Andre Benjamin 6000

Andre Benjamin 6000 Well-Known Member

$1.20/ride for me here in San Diego. I probably drove 90% Lyft last year.

JTR and macchiato like this.
  9. Dannyboss

Dannyboss New Member

1.01 per ride, too bad this includes both in app and cash tips

10. beezlewaxin

beezlewaxin Member

I didn't do any trips after July 31.. but did drive starting at 1030pm on NYE.

$1.23 average tip

My average fare at end of week always calculates to a bit over $10/$11.
    Except for 1.5hours (and 2 trips) on NYE in Vegas before midnight, all of my driving was in Denver.

Here's the rest of the stats from the email:

Total rides given
    $657
    Tips earned
    -----------------------------
    You averaged about
    hours per week.
    You've been driving with Lyft since
    8/19/15
    Hooray!
    [Note: my rating at end of 2016 was 4.96.]
    35%
    of your rides were given between 4 AM-10 AM
    59%
    of rides given between 10 PM-5 AM
    30%
    of rides given
    during Prime Time/peak hours

TOTAL MINUTES SPENT DRIVING WITH LYFT THIS YEAR

The Highlights

You were a model driver with 377 5-star ratings this year. Your best ride was on April 17, where you earned $101.44 (and $77.18 of that was Prime Time). You met 26 friends in Lyft Line rides, which is pretty impressive. Emily was clearly a favorite passenger after they tipped a whopping $15, which added to the over $100 million from the entire Lyft community.

-------------------------------------
    [HR][/HR]
    EDIT: Lol, this was almost a little creepy given my emailaddress/forum handle and avatar:

Your Lyft Spirit Animal

Based on this year's ride behavior, you're a:

Worker Bee

[​IMG]

You're a veteran in the business - buzzing around like a pro, picking up rides day in and day out.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  11. cenTiPede

cenTiPede Member

$0.59 per ride. This is probably a regional thing. In some areas of the country people are probably nicer than in other areas. I imagine the bigger the city the smaller the tip.

Is there a way to make a poll in this forum?

12. cenTiPede

cenTiPede Member

Funny they said that to me too, and I've only been driving for a couple months. Talk about churning rate...

13. JTR

JTR Active Member

1 - first end trip when about to be at drop off location make sure rider see it you are giving them 5 star for being lyft rider rather than uber 2- thank them again wish them good luck with whatever it does not matter what! just smile and say any tip would be appreciated its easy step and show them how to tip lyft app. 3- click 5 dollars and Summit. Works every time:)

14. Havoc

Havoc Active Member

Barely over a buck a ride, and that is only around 60% of pax that tip

JTR likes this.
  15. SFTraffic

SFTraffic New Member

$.49 cents in SF for me with over 2000 rides.

Truman and macchiato like this.
  16. unPat

unPat Well-Known Member

50¢

macchiato likes this.
  17. Trump Economics

Trump Economics Active Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Let-Down-Lyft is pathetic. It should say:

You've given a lot of rides and have devalued your vehicle's resale value by this much.

You average a lot of hours on the Let-Down-Lyft platform, and that's time away from your family and friends that you will never get back.

You've been driving with Let-Down-Lyft for a long time. Metaphorically speaking, are you asleep at the wheel?

A lot of rides you've given were between 4-10am, so thanks for losing sleep. Please don't send us the medical bills in the future, and we have an arbitration agreement if it goes there.

A lot of your rides were given between 10pm and 5am, and we're sorry about the vomit. In general, we're just sorry.

A lot of rides were given during Peak times, and we thank you for following your employment schedule. We didn't tell you when to drive, but we incentivized you to, so it's basically the same thing.

Total minutes spent driving with Let-Down-Lyft? 742 hours, or 31 full days of your life. How's your back doing?

The highlights:

You were a model driver and ruined your car this much.

You have this many 5-star reviews, and this many 1-star reviews, which were given to you in a discriminatory fashion. Also, since our rating system is designed to mentally condition you into being afraid, and "stars" don't determine your pay scale, this line is moot.

Your best ride was on this date and your worse ride -- where you made $1.50 -- was on this date.

You met this many friends on Let-Down-Lyft Line, but got none of their phone numbers, so thanks for the charity work.

This person was a favorite passenger, but she was probably intoxicated and meant to deduct $15, so we can't be sure. Also, the $100 million dollar figure is meant to be drilled into your head as a conversation piece for when new passengers from Fuber ask you about the tipping policy -- help us brainwash them into thinking we care. We only let drivers accept tips because then we can pay you less on an hourly basis (we factor in previous tips when our algorithm determines new rides), so, again, thank you.

Your Spirit Animal is TAKEN-ADVANTAGE-OF-SLOTH.

Cheers,

Let-Down-Lyft (Template Response) Support.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    JTR likes this.
  18. AllenChicago

AllenChicago Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    My 2016 Lyft summary arrived on January 5th. Didn't think it was worth opening and reading until seeing this thread. Thank-you macchiatomacchiato.

I gave 756 rides and earn $749 in tips. That comes to 99 cents a ride...officially. In reality, I'm closer to $1.12 per-ride in tips, because over $100 was received in cash, directly from riders.

Does Lyft add these tip dollars to our IRS form 1099 taxable income? I'm pretty sure that most drivers don't report cash tips to the IRS.

JTR likes this.
  19. macchiato

Driving:
    Lyft
    Lyft reports your tips to the IRS.

Truman and JTR like this.
  20. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    50c inapp LyftOC / Select bimmer optdown

Seems vehicle dependent.... Getting noticeably higher tips on Ford Expedition (Lyft Plus)