1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Lyft drivers lets share hidden tip:)

Discussion in 'Lyft' started by JTR, Dec 5, 2015.

1. MiddleClassedOut

MiddleClassedOut Well-Known Member

No, they can't. We're independent contractors. I asked Lyft directly about it and they said to cancel but they did NOT say I could not charge a fee. I was going to quote the email but that poses a real risk I could be personally identified. It took them a long time to reply, longer than the usual abysmal Lyft support times, so I'm guessing it went up the corporate ladder a bit.

You will probably get bad ratings from passengers though - that's the real risk. But only once have I ever had someone agree to the fee. Everyone else has canceled. Uber's contract explicitly says that the rates are "default rates" as they cannot force us to accept the rates since they are not transportation companies. Lyft's contract says "EACH TRANSPORTATION SERVICE PROVIDED BY A DRIVER TO A RIDER SHALL CONSTITUTE A SEPARATE AGREEMENT BETWEEN SUCH PERSONS."

Obviously except for this specific situation this loophole doesn't matter. However, imagine if drivers unionized or associated in some ways....And all the drivers refused to provide service unless passengers paid pick-up fees. There would be nothing the companies could do given our employment status. Now I'm not a lawyer but clauses like that one in caps are pretty damn clear and would stand up in court.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    JTR likes this.
  2. DieselkW

DieselkW Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Well said, but we will have to disagree on this point
    We have no business, entrepreneurial or not, if the TNC model falls apart. Are you going to still be in business if TNC's fail? Without the clearinghouse to join rider with driver, we have no business. Lyft must survive for this to work for us.

If Lyft fails, Uber will be able to do anything it wants. Without competition, the engine that drives capitalism, we will be serving a very greedy master unchecked by a formidable competitor. You can kid yourself that you can operate your own business, but you are still a slave to the TNC. Sending a text demanding a pickup fee, by your own admittance, results in cancellation of the "contract", therefore you are not really able to enforce a pickup fee. The customer has too many choices and they will choose another driver to "contract" with since they can end a contract with two clicks and zero lawyers.

I blow away every guarantee. Lyft doesn't guarantee if they don't have a reasonable expectation of increased demand. During the guarantee surrounding the Big Ten Iowa/Michigan State game Saturday I averaged $35/ride. I ended the night with a fare that took me 2 miles from home at 3am for $58 and they left me a $15 tip. Half hour drive. A $20 guarantee became moot in the first ten minutes.

I agree with much of what you wrote MiddleClassedOutMiddleClassedOut , but you need to realize it's not all Philly out here in the rest of the country. Every market is different from yours. I don't know how you avoid running across the PPA in Philly. I regularly get pinged for a 20 minute pickup and I go fetch. Sometimes I do it for a $5 fare, most times I do it for a $40 fare. Occasionally I do it for a $75 fare. Roll the dice - I get 40 mpg and those long distance pings generally bring me to where the action is anyway. If it's a short fare, I'm still in the hot zone. So, I can go there because I was requested, or I can go there because I think it's going to be an active place for my business. Does it matter if the dead miles are requested, or just the nature of the business?

cin90, JTR and MrPix like this.
  3. MrPix

MrPix Member

You're sure about this, but you decline to include your original email in case they can identify you? Sounds hinky.

Here's the deal: Lyft provides the payment platform and the insurance. You're sub-contracted to deliver the service. If you charge a separate fee, they stop being Lyft's customer and start being yours, which creates all kinds of liabilities for you and problems for Lyft. Lyft does deactivate people for trying to charge separate fees -I am personally aware of two instances of this happening.

One driver received a Lyft Plus request which was for one person and a lot of banker boxes. They wanted a fee to carry the boxes. Pax informed Lyft, driver confirmed and was de-activated. The other was just like you. $5 to go ten miles to pick you up. De-activated. They had a copy of the call because it goes through Lyft and they record/keep the calls. They played it to him when he denied saying that and de-activated him.

Enough for you?

KMANDERSON and JTR like this.
  4. MiddleClassedOut

If they are doing that, they're breaking their own contract and those drivers should sue. Lyft's contract specifically says it's a separate agreement - they are only matching riders and drivers and providing insurance. I'm PMing you the email.

JTR likes this.
  5. andaas

andaas Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    While I do disagree with the OP's thoughts on gaming the guarantees, it did occur to me recently that if you are working during a guarantee period, and you happen to pick up a great fare early in the hour (say you get a $40 airport fare at 5:01 pm; dropping off at 5:45 pm). That it would be to your benefit to disqualify yourself for that hour if you can by signing off for more than 10 minutes before the end of that hour if possible.

It would be a fairly rare occurrence, but it would help make sure your other guarantee hours in that pay tier have a lower average to balance against. And would only be viable when you are doubling the guarantee rate or more.

JTR likes this.

6. MiddleClassedOut

I've thought about this too - I haven't really tried it. The issue is obviously if you log off to avoid hitting 50 minutes you may be idle for quite some time (30 minutes or more if you had a 20 minute expressway ride.)

It also depends on if you're going for the full Power Driver bonus or not...If going for 20%, then I wouldn't stop working if you're already beating the guarantees. You will get gross fare, rather than the the guarantee which is still subject to commission. You have to make a snap decision depending on where you end up and your knowledge of your market...

andaas and JTR like this.
  7. MrPix

MrPix Member

They're not breaking their contract. It looks like we disagree on this and we both have good reasons for doing so. You have your expertise in this area of contract law, and I have anecdotes. You're talking about what Lyft should do, and I'm talking about what they do do. Why can't we all just get along?!?! :D

JTR likes this.
  8. DieselkW

DieselkW Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    I blew away the guarantee again - averaged $28 an hour. Damn, if only I had made less money, I could have gotten Lyft to give me $20 an hour.

I don't know how to make the statement above drip with sarcasm.
    upload_2015-12-8_6-44-24.jpeg

JTR and cin90 like this.
  9. andaas

andaas Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    I blow away the guarantees sometimes also, however, I have also sat parked in high-request areas during $20/hour guarantees and barely receive 1 request an hour (in some cases, getting the request in the final minutes of the hour). Lyft isn't consistent enough (at least not here), to rely on beating the guarantee rates.

So yeah, if I average $4/hour for the first 3 hours of a $20/hour guarantee - and I get a $45 fare in the 4th hour - yes, I would much rather that 1 ride/hour not bring my average up ($38.40 payout vs. $18.40 payout).

JTR and cin90 like this.
  10. MiddleClassedOut

Nice Diesel, what's your market? You're able to get a lot of long rides or Prime Time fares in yours I guess...

JTR likes this.
  11. MiddleClassedOut

I beat the $18 one barely this week...I'm probably just gonna try to beat those. I barely worked them and beat them...Couple of long rides I guess during those hours.

The best guarantee was Thanksgiving eve...$22 all that night, I made bank on the guarantees that night because it was dead as hell in Philadelphia. I couldn't have beat them if I'd tried...

I also got my first Lyft cleaning fee today! Woo! Took them two weeks. Temple student spilled a Long Island Ice Tea on my front car mat. I made him toss it, but he kept the glass and it still had liquid in it, so of course he spilled the rest...

JTR likes this.
  12. Atlwarrior

Atlwarrior Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    You are generally able to cash out daily around 65.00

JTR likes this.
  13. MiddleClassedOut

Hmm...I think Lyft will bail you out too. But I'd love to hear from any drivers who did get stopped by the PPA if they were made whole...

But frankly I find airport pickups almost totally riskless. I call, make sure they're at the baggage claim area where I can get them, take my phone off its mount, and ask them to sit up front. To a casual observer, there is no way to tell you're doing a Lyft pickup. I'm still worried about stings, and there was an UberBlack driver who posted something threatening, but they haven't done anything yet.

I think it's fine for Lyft to pick up at the airport, the taxi drivers and UberBlack drivers are just trying to keep their monopoly at the airport. They don't want competition. It's actually the PPA that's the bad guy here - they are almost certainly being bribed by the taxi drivers and chauffeurs to maintain an illegal monopoly at the airport.

Lyft and UberX are legal at a lot of airports now. Philly and Chicago I think are some of the biggest holdouts.

JTR likes this.
  14. JTR

JTR Active Member

:)

Attached Files:

Andre Benjamin 6000 likes this.
  15. Manotas

Manotas Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Nice job. Is all of this after gas, mileage depreciation, gas, lunch, car wash, etc, etc?

JTR likes this.
  16. JTR

JTR Active Member

After over 600 uber support emails i sent... im sorry again sir:)

Attached Files:

17. JTR

JTR Active Member

I get gas money for canceled fees every week which is about 50 week so 10 canceled rides:) lunch i eat at home, but I spent lot of money at wawa past couple years... carwash $18 dollars unlimited per month etc,etc I claim zero dollar sir:)

Manotas likes this.
  18. JTR

JTR Active Member

:)

Attached Files:

Lyfty likes this.
  19. Trump Economics

Trump Economics Active Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Hidden Tip: Quit before it's too late.

AuxCordBoston and JTR like this.