1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Looking for a new car..

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Shad, Sep 28, 2016.

1. MrA

MrA Well-Known Member

You should ask about getting it into service for Uber Select. It is every bit as nice as a 4 year old Caddy.

2. Shad

Shad Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Actually it looks like a new really young guy did the design. Here's a video of him talking about it.

Any suggestions on how to plead my case for Select? Take pictures of the car, interior etc and send them in asking please? Go to the local guys office hours?

I just noticed that they updated the Select approved list and my Suburban should qualify at least another two years. Yay! But if I can get this guy on Select too.. :)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  3. ubermay74

ubermay74 Member

Hey shad how are you? I drive down here in Miami and I'm interested in getting a 2015 or 2016 suburban ,i have never owned a chevy vehicle,i have been a volkswagen owner for about ten years but i don't want to do Uber x anymore it's just no worth it, .85 cents a mile is ridiculous,in the Suburban I qualify for xl lux and suv lux,what's your advice on that monster suburban?.

4. Shad

Shad Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I have a Suburban because I have a large family. I just lucked out that it was eligible for Select and I am able to drive it to get the higher Select rates on the weekend. Would I go out and buy a Suburban specifically to drive Uber? Probably not. But my situation is perhaps different than yours. I have a regular full time job. I drive on the weekends to earn some extra cash to pay down the credit cards. In my case, it doesn't make sense to buy a car specifically for driving Uber, especially one that is as expensive as a Suburban. I'm also in a very different location. I'm in Utah. Come winter a Suburban should do well in the mountains running skiers around between the airport and the resorts. I'm not sure how well it would do in Miami. It's a big bulky gas guzzler. I'd ask around there to see what demand is. You may be better off buying a lower end luxury car like I was looking at earlier in this thread. It gets better gas mileage than the Suburban by far, and if you're just running select, it pays the same. If you drive full time, can meet all the requirements for SUV (insurance, licensing, etc), go for it.

If you're asking about how I like the Burb itself, I love it. I drove it off the lot with less than 10 miles on it almost 5 years ago, and haven't had a hint of buyers remorse ever. I've had to get a few things fixed, the A/C went south twice, was having a misfire problem, and had a problem with the 3rd row seats not folding forward like they should. Most of those items were covered under warranty or extended warranty and were minor really. It's been a great solid car for my family with plenty of room for everyone, and all our stuff. We've driven it to California a couple times, and driven to Michigan a few times, no issues whatsoever.

Shangsta likes this.
  5. kevink

kevink Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes...and no....The 2008-2012 Malibus (along with the Pontiac G6s and Saturn Auras) were built on GM's Epsilon platform, the same one which underpinned the Saab 9-3 (GM did have some degree of ownership of Saab for quite some time, taking a 50% stake in the 80s and the other 50% in the late 90s, early 2000s). They were not a Saab design, per se. If anything the Saab was brought more closely in line with its cousins and lost a lot of the "quirkiness" that Saab owners seemed to enjoy.

I believe the latest generation Malibu (and possibly the one before it) was built on the Epsilon II platform, which "Old GM" had started developing prior to its bankruptcy.

6. MrA

MrA Well-Known Member

Just ask, you never know. a car as nice as the Malibu may get you a higher rate on Lyft? I don't know much about Lyft. GM is a major investor in Lyft. Maybe some pull because of that?
    Yep, that rings a bell. I was looking at a '06, 9-3 Saab and came across that in research.

7. Shad

Shad Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    So I went in to office hours last night after work.. Was told that the only Select exception added the he knows of was an Audi that wasn't on the pre-approved list. It's more the name badge that they are looking at, not necessarily how nice the car is.. :( Not sure if there is a way around this.. But I still have my Suburban to drive Select.

As far as Lyft.. My mentor on lyft rejected me, and they won't reconsider, so I can't drive lyft.. No idea why... Uber keeps me busy enough though.. Usually..

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    Adieu likes this.
  8. njn

njn Active Member

Slap a Cadillac badge on it.

Shad likes this.
  9. ubermay74

ubermay74 Member

Shad, i also have a full time job and i won't be buying it brand new ,its a 2015 with black on black with 39000 miles on it for $ 38500 ,and I'm planning just do uber about 3 days a week .so i guess the price is reasonable .

10. ubermay74

ubermay74 Member

Also XL is pretty busy here ,that's why I'm not considered a lux sedan ,so i know i won't be very busy on only lux and lux suv ,if i get 1 or 2 rides on lux per day it can add up at the end.

11. Jimmy Bernat

Jimmy Bernat Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    2014+ Malibus Qualify for Select in Denver. Go into the local office tell them that show them your nice new car and they will porbably add it. Heck someone got a 2007 Audi A3 on Select (nice car but crazy small) I'd much rather be picked up in your Malibu then an A3 . Especially if you're driving Select XL with your suburban ..Now I saw you say UberLux if your market only has Lux and not Select they probably won't add the Malibu

12. Samuel ad

Samuel ad New Member

My jag xj8 was bliss, but some ****** totaled it so now I'm in an uber Dodge Dart rental-totally vile.

13. Sueron

Sueron Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Here in Alabama, the 2007 is now too old. Upgraded to a 2011 Toyota Camry LE (only used for Uber) First full month 150 pick ups.

14. Shad

Shad Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    There is't a local full time office here.. There is a team that does local "office hours" at a hotel by the airport. I went in last week and asked if I could get on to select and he said no.. But SLC does apparently report in to the Denver region.. When I asked about destination filters, they said that they were waiting on someone in Denver to do something.. Since the Malibu is eligible in Denver, maybe I can go back in and do some more pleading.. The way that the local guy talked was that he had to send off a request and someone else had to approve it, presumably in Denver...

15. Jimmy Bernat

Jimmy Bernat Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Yeah it's worth a shot , maybe even print out the denver select list

I was wrong about my years for the Malibu I thought it was 2014 or newer but it's 2015 or newer

16. Shad

Shad Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Update: was driving around this morning trying to get a ride toward work.. All of a sudden, I get a Select call.. Wha??? Am I signed on to my Suburban profile accidentally? No, I just took an X call. Weird.. Went and picked up the rider, finally made my way to work. Just logged in and they updated the approved car list to include 2015 and newer Malibus and Impalas. They must have just done that some time this week. No complaints here!

Jimmy Bernat likes this.
  17. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Lyft pax pulled a knife on your WIFE??????

Tell me pieces of him might still be stuck on your Suburban's undercarriage and THAT'S why you're switching

Never had no wife, but if somebody tried that on a girlfriend, first their house would burn down mysteriously, and then I'd be swapping wheels and bumpers at a cash only place like a junkyard, and buying a pressure washer...