1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Is using a compact car for uber a detriment ??

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Jay Jones, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Jay Jones

Jay Jones New Member

So .... I drive a 2006 Hyundai Elantra which is a bit small and I'm wondering if anyone else uses a small car?

2. UberSonic

UberSonic Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It's all a matter of using the right compact car. I drive a 'subcompact' Chevy Sonic. 109 cu/ft of total interior space, which almost classifies it as a midsize (starts at 110 cu/ft). It has a HUGE amount of passenger space for it's class, due to being intelligently designed. Being a hatchback means there's no cutoff of rear passenger headspace, either, which is a big plus. I can easily fit 4, and have squeezed 5 or 6 a couple of time before I got strict on the rules. Being a small car with a turbocharged engine, I get great MPG. I keep the car extra clean, and that typically makes up for the size for those people who care. Passengers always exclaim over how much space there is for a small car, or how clean it is.

As far as Uber rules go, UberX wants a car with 4 doors. Technically a Chevy Spark would work, but I wouldn't go that small.

chi1cabby likes this.
  3. Jay Jones

Jay Jones New Member

Thanks for replying! image.jpg image.jpg This is my car exactly which wasn't 'intelligently' designed so it's tight for passengers ... Any advise??

4. LookyLou

LookyLou Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Looks like an ideal car for Uber and Lyft.

Like was already mentioned, keeping it clean at all times makes up for size and age.

5. UberSonic

UberSonic Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    As far as the front seat goes, it's not too different from my Sonic. The lower part of the dash and the foot wells are the largest difference.
    [​IMG]

All I can really say is go for it. Drive and wait for the ratings. I'm maintaining a 4.75 currently, though I have seen the numbers rising lately. I think most of my poor ratings are people who don't realize what a 4 truly means, and from people who wouldn't have been pleased if I was driving an Escalade.

6. Moofish

Moofish Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I have a Mazda 3, always get the vibe that they are turned off by the small car, but it's more roomy on the inside then they realize. Keeping the inside pretty clean and smelling nice always helps.

To help with the limited room I always move my seat forward and keep the front seat forward so the back seat has more leg room for passengers in the back, but it's always tight with 3 in the back and 1 in the front.

7. UberSonic

UberSonic Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Exactly the same for me. Passenger seat is all the way forward unless someone sits there, and I can move my own seat almost all the way forward and still comfortably drive. There's enough room that some passengers even encourage me to move back some when they notice my sacrifice for their comfort.

8. Jay Jones

Jay Jones New Member

Thanks folks! I appreciate it

9. Jenbug0421

Jenbug0421 New Member

Would a 2016 Ford Fiesta sedan work? It's small but it has 4 doors.

10. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Yes.

BUT a 2005 ford focus would work a LOT better

If getting a big car, get XL or Select eligibility.

PS
    Cars: tiiiiiny Select 3 series ('11, $11.999... 33k mi ago), humongous XL Expedition ('09, $4.600 just added)

11. yojimboguy

yojimboguy Well-Known Member

I use a Mazda3, very similar in size to your Hyundai. 5 people will fit in, and that's good enough.

12. Shangsta

Shangsta Well-Known Member

Worst case a small car affects your rating slightly. If it gets great gas mileage its perfect for Uber