1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Is Uber stealing fractions of a penny from its drivers

Discussion in 'Pay' started by UberSteve330, Jan 6, 2017.

1. UberSteve330

UberSteve330 New Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I have been driving for the last quarter of 2016 (about 625 trips). I drive part time typically Fri and Sat nights in the KCMO Market. In gather all my data for taxes I noticed a few inconsistencies. I had seen a spread sheet another driver used to track all his stuff. His spreadsheets calculates the Uber Fee based on his gross fare cost by his fee rate of 20%.

While I was entering some of my data into this sheet I noticed my fees didn't align with what the Uber app/pay statements said, based on simple math. Usually only a penny or two off. I dug a little deeper into each trip and it seems this is probably due to rounding. With some quick math it seems this may only cost me between $2-3 for the quarter or maybe $10 for a year. But how much is it for all the drivers out there?

This seemed to be pretty consistent each driving day and ALWAYS IN FAVOR OF UBER!!!

Probably another area that Uber can take advantage from a fragmented work force.

2. Jufkii

Jufkii Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Good luck explaining and dealing with Support if you wish to recover any of that.

3. DocT

DocT Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    You said it yourself. Remember, Uber does not use common mathematics that we know of. Some of us call it, "Uber math."

Why do you think a Driver Rating of 4.85 rounds down to 4.8 on the Uber app? Common mathematics for rounding 1 significant digit (even Common Core Math) a number, 4.85, would result in 4.9.

4. uber1969

uber1969 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Got a email from uber that on 2 days this week they had a computer glitch that charged me 25% , not 20% service fee. And they fixed it. Anyone else ?

5. Fuber1

Fuber1 Member

Uber is stealing more like dollars than pennies from all their drivers and passengers by being a scam fraud illegal dishonest company everything about uber is corruption including lie cheat and steal

Craven Morehear and LEAFdriver like this.

6. renbutler

renbutler Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    That actually is an easy answer.

What if the exact rating is 4.847?That number could round to 4.85, or it could round to 4.8.

If the rating were exactly 4.85000, you are correct that it would round up to 4.9. But it's probably just a little above or below 4.85000.

Buber2005 likes this.
  7. UberBastid

UberBastid Well-Known Member

I remember a case where an accountant in the payroll department of a large, very large company (seems to me like it was Ford, or GM) found that the computer program they use went to four places after the decimal point. In other words, a number would be entered as $49.0000 instead of $49.00
    He used those last two places to put numbers in, and had those very small fractions of pennies transferred into his own account, in the Camen Islands.
    He stole thousandths of a penny from the company for each employee for each hour they worked, and ended up with MILLIONS in a pretty short period of time. And he got away with it for a decade.

8. UberBastid

I remember a case where an accountant working in the payroll department of a very large company (seems to me it was Ford or GM) discovered that the computer program they were using computed numbers to the fourth place after the decimal point. So, if someone was making fifteen dollars and twelve cents per hour, it would be entered into the system as $15.1200
    Well, he decided that HE would use those last two places and put numbers in there. Then had those very small fractions of a penny transferred to his own account in the Camens.
    He stole many millions of dollars, and got away with it for a decade.

9. Buber2005

Buber2005 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Dude, wasn't that a superman 3? And those guys got busted right? Yeaaaaaaaaa......

ChortlingCrison likes this.
  10. ChortlingCrison

ChortlingCrison Well-Known Member

Yup and also in "Office Space" as well.

11. I_Like_Spam

I_Like_Spam Well-Known Member

That's what you call "breakage".

Ubering has been compared to gambling, since the company wants its partners to accept trips without full information, so it seems only proper that they use this technique from pari mutuel gambling. If you bet on a horse, they calculate your payoff if he wins based upon how much money was bet on your horse and the total bet on the other horses. The track rounds down the payoff to the next lower 20 cents.

This is the same thing. Relax, its just part of the game.

12. wk1102

wk1102 Well-Known Member

This is correct. if the actual average is 4.85 the rider sees 4.9. if the actual average is 4.845-4.849999999 it's 4.8.

13. Buber2005

Buber2005 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Dude, what in the f*&k are you talking about? Until you're ready to get paid fractions of a penny, there's nothing to see here... They are not rounding down 20 cents or even close

14. UberBastid

Yea, and why is gas $2.999 per gallon?
    Hey, I pumped exactly a gallon, I want my $0.001 change.
    I'll take a check.

15. Redtop

Redtop Member

Actually, 4.85 rounds to 4.8. Standard mathematical procedure is to round something precisely in the middle to the even number. So 4.15 and 4.25 both round to 4.2. 4.35 and 4.45 round to 4.4. Etc. This is done so that there is no aggregate bias in rounding.

Buber2005 likes this.