1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Idea for those who did not track dead miles

Discussion in 'Taxes' started by Qowpel, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Qowpel

Qowpel Member

Let us say you did not track dead miles such as myself. there is a way around it but it is incredibly tedious. Basically if you just finished a trip, you would just calculate the miles it takes to go from the end of your most previous trip to the pick up of your next trip. I know this seems.obvious but I read some people are nervous about this. It will take Forever to calculate, but it must be done. So far my ratio of true miles to dead miles is about 40 percent to 60 percent.... dead miles suck.

2. UberTaxPro

UberTaxPro Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes, dead miles suck but they would suck worse if you couldn't deduct them!

play2008 likes this.
  3. JustDave

JustDave Active Member

The only thing we cannot deduct is whenever we go offline, to our home. Right?

tohunt4me likes this.
  4. Mattio41

Mattio41 Well-Known Member

if you still had one available. Why wouldn't you use a destination filter to your house. If you happen to catch a ride, great. Slightly offsets the dead head. Otherwise, App is on all the way home.

tohunt4me, JustDave and WBdriving like this.
  5. JustDave

JustDave Active Member

I do this. Even when there's surge. Just to be sure I go towards home on that ride :p

tohunt4me likes this.

6. zordac

zordac Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    You don't have to be online to claim the miles. You just have to be in the car for Uber related business and have the app open.

Craven Morehear and tohunt4me like this.
  7. Tommy Vercetti

Tommy Vercetti Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    A little off topic, but I haven't tracked any miles, I was hoping to just used the calculated miles from trips using the partner app. Is this sufficient enough?

tohunt4me likes this.
  8. Older Chauffeur

Older Chauffeur Well-Known Member

But then you leave on the table all the "dead" miles without pax, right? As I understand it, the partner app only calculates trips with a paying pax onboard.

Disclosure: I'm not a tax pro, nor do I do rideshare, so I'm just kibitzing here.:p

LAuberX and tohunt4me like this.
  9. UberTaxPro

Driving:
    UberX
    You can use anything you want to calculate your "business miles" but if you're ever challenged any miles deducted and not accounted for in a mileage log will be negated. The records that Uber keeps for your trips are nice to have and could be used to support your mileage log, or perhaps to help recreate a missing log, but they aren't going to get you anywhere with the IRS unless you also have a mileage log. The law states you have to keep a mileage log for every business mile you deduct. The law doesn't state anything about the Uber app. or any other method of keeping track of your business miles other than the mileage log. By law the IRS has to follow the tax code, common sense doesn't count!

10. zordac

zordac Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Correct. He is leaving the majority of his mileage on the table by doing that.

tohunt4me likes this.
  11. Puntagor

Puntagor Active Member

How about car only uses for uber?

tohunt4me likes this.
  12. Older Chauffeur

I'm not a tax professional, but this is my understanding-

If a car is strictly used for business you would still need the contemporaneous mileage log to account for the business use.

tohunt4me and UberTaxPro like this.
  13. Puntagor

Puntagor Active Member

picking up riders is part of bussenes right?

tohunt4me likes this.
  14. Older Chauffeur

Of course. Maybe I misunderstood your question.

tohunt4me likes this.
  15. UberTaxPro

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes! unless of course it's race car your talking about;)

tohunt4me and Older Chauffeur like this.
  16. UberTaxPro

Driving:
    UberX
    Even if you claim actual expenses you need to keep a mileage log to determine what % is personal vs business. Also, mileage logs need to be kept for three years.

tohunt4me and Older Chauffeur like this.
  17. mmorris5820

mmorris5820 New Member

No, it's not enough. You need to claim all of your dead miles as well to ensure you can deduct most if not all of your income earned for driving.

tohunt4me and UberTaxPro like this.
  18. UberTaxPro

Driving:
    UberX
    You need a mileage log even to deduct the "calculated miles". The calculated miles do not replace a mileage log for tax purposes.

tohunt4me likes this.
  19. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

I do 100 dead miles a day just traveling to and from my work area $54.00 deduction before I even start

zordac likes this.
  20. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    You must have a log with miles driven with start end odo readings either way you decide to deduct your expenses. If you get audited... and you have a detailed log... your golden. If you don't have a log... you cant deduct ANYTHING even if you have receipts.

The bare minimum you need to survive an audit for every work session is

Date/time start
    Start Odo
    Date/time stop
    Stop odo

They don't expect you to have every single fare listed but you need to have odo readings by the session.

2016 night of 11/8- 11/9
    Start 11/8/16 21:00
    Start odo 58,757
    Stop 11/9/16 09:00
    Stop odo 58,958

(on new years eve split it at midnight so your not straddling years)

This is literally the ONLY thing you cannot be without come tax time, for someone working full time not having this could adjust your income 10s or thousands.

Going to work, you can write it off as long as you can go online from home.]
    coming home, as long as you are logged in you can write it off... because you are still theoretically working.

As far as writing off the drive home after logging off?
    Technically.... I mean really getting technical here... and looking at the intent of how this is worded, and the nature of the documentation itself.

If you are self-employed and claim a dedicated home office -- a space set aside exclusively for business -- all the driving you do from your home to clients’ offices is deductible.

So the intent is for someone who has a small office to deduct all their miles they drive if they work from home?

By following the intention of the law one could claim that the intention is to deduct it.

And since all they have is your logs to go on (because uber will never have an accurate to give them, and if you do multi platforms? no one can ever calculate it but you) i would just deduct it anyway.