1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

I did a search for 1960s taxi rates

Discussion in 'Pay' started by Dave Styles, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Dave Styles

Dave Styles Member

2. ChortlingCrison

ChortlingCrison Well-Known Member

Maybe uber and lyft are "decade-challenged", or decade impaired.

ABC123DEF, tohunt4me and TwoFiddyMile like this.
  3. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Ha! I did this thread a year ago.
    This stuff never gets old tho, cause it's true.

4. grams777

grams777 Moderator Moderator

5. TwoFiddyMile

Driving:
    Taxi
    Charlotte is stuck in 1977 lol.

tohunt4me likes this.

6. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

Yet they got TIPS in 1960 !
    Too bad rent gas and FOOD aren't at 1950 rates,only our pay is !

7. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

A brand NEW car cost$2,000.00 back then ?

brendon292 likes this.
  8. A_Driver

A_Driver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    And gas was $0.35 a gallon in 1969. You could buy a 2 year old car for $500.

9. grams777

grams777 Moderator Moderator

I paid $4k for a brand new subaru in 1980 (cheapest model).

10. ChortlingCrison

ChortlingCrison Well-Known Member

11. AintWorthIt

AintWorthIt Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
  12. jaxbeachrides

jaxbeachrides Active Member

Keep in mind that uber operates illegally in most markets, hence being forced to undercut prices. If uber was legal, they could charge legal prices. Not hard to decipher.

13. TwoFiddyMile

Driving:
    Taxi
    Crison chews ears like Mike Tyson
    He's slicin
    He's dicing
    Cleans up any kitchen crisis

Crison chortles
    Crison portals
    He ain't mortal

14. Peanut hello

Peanut hello Active Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    People still driving. the average rideshare driver lasts about 6 months.
    people get hired and quit on daily basis.

15. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    It's fairly consistent adjusted for inflation, and that spike in the 70s was the gas crisis if i recall.

Now if you take uber's prices and scale them in comparison you have
    47485894-market-crash-chart.jpg

16. Oscar Levant

Oscar Levant Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV

I drove a taxi in L.A. 1977, the meter was $.80 per mile, $10 per hour waiting ( but only when below 12mph ). I drove a taxi later in 1987, ten years later, and the meter rose to $1.20 per mile, and $12 per hour ( waiting ).

You have to understand that, unlike your typical taximeter, Uber's "meter" the timer is constant, so it adds to the mileage rate, but I haven't figured it out how much.

Also, when it was busy, it would be impossible to do as many trips back in the day with a taxi as one would get with an Uber today, due to:

1. Physical limitations of two way radio dispatching by humans, drivers competing for air time to get said trips, etc.

2. Before GPSes, using mapbooks, can take several minutes to plot out a course, to reach the customer.

3. Taxi drivers often have to leave the cab to knock on rider's doors, or enter a bar to ask bartender who he so she called a cab for.

4. A taxi driver is often scooped by other taxi passer's by ( when the call is at a gas station or hotel, most riders don't care who the taxi is )

5. A taxi driver has to accept cash, make change after every trip.

6. a taxi driver has to record ( by pencil or pen ) the details of the trip on a trip sheet, as required by must city taxi regulators ( this maybe obsolete today with computer dispatch ).

When meter was $1.20 (taximeter in 1987, Uber is $1.10 in San Diego, today) I rarely did more than $125 total book. At $1.10 with current UBer, ( without surges ), I've done over $200. The only explanation is the above reasons stated. We Uber drivers, because of technology, can simply do many more trips when operating at full capacity than taxi drivers did back in the day, at full capacity ( unless you are driving in NYC, where there are flags everywhere ).

Today, if i get a ping on the free way, I do not have to stop and look at a mapbook, I jsut hit navigate and the app takes me right to the rider, and I don't have to climb out of my car to knock on doors, etc. You guys are spoiled !!!!

But, I kinda miss the old days of two way radios, flag meters, hanging out at the cab lot shooting the sheet with other drivers, while waiting for an available cab, etc. Today, we're like a little cog in a big machine, and I don't even know who my supervisor is, let alone the bosses phone number. There still is a cab company in San Diego, that operates on old tech, Coronado Yellow.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Peanut hello likes this.
  17. Oscar Levant

Oscar Levant Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    I got my first car in 1969, it was a 1961 Chevy Biscayne, and I paid $175. It took me a few months to save for it, since my weekly pay check was about $40 ( after taxes ). But, my rent was $50 a month ( my share of rent in a 2 bedroom apartment in the MacArthur Park district of L.A ) gas was 26 cents at gas war places, 35 cents at Mobil, etc. I turned 21 in 1972, and I remember drinking all night long in a bar for about $20. A Dewars & Water ( my drink ) was $1.10, as I recall. $500 sounds too cheap for a two year old car. I remember a brand new volkswagen being around $2000. I doubt it depreciated that much in two years.

Peanut hello likes this.
  18. SpeedyGonzalez11

SpeedyGonzalez11 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Atlanta is in July 1979. Wow that's crazy.

TwoFiddyMile likes this.