1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

"I am late!"

Discussion in 'Stories' started by GalinMcMahon, Jan 7, 2017.

1. GalinMcMahon

GalinMcMahon Active Member

I heard this twice the other day.

First one, the rider canceled in hopes that somehow there would be an Uber that was closer. When she pinged me again, I accepted then pulled over and waited a couple minutes in case she canceled again. When I finally arrived she ran to my car and complained that she was going to be late. I just said, "ok." She was about a minute past her 7 minute grace period. No sympathy from me.

Second one, a lady pings me at 5:30. Downtown. Gridlock. I show up quickly. After we just about get through the jam, my g maps says 14 minutes. I tell her it will be 15 minutes (always add 1-2 minutes per 15 in gridlock). She insists that her Waze and infinite experience are right so it'll be 19 minutes. Her meeting started at 5:30 so if she gets there much past 6:00, it's not worth going. Yes, my fault. We finally arrive at her destination 15 minutes later...6:00 on the dot.

Lesson: if you're a rider, assume a couple minutes for your Uber to arrive and give yourself enough time to get there. We don't have hover cars...yet.

JTR, Woodbury77, DrivingZiggy and 6 others like this.
  2. Jo3030

Jo3030 Well-Known Member

One of main reasons I don't drive in the morning, (people trying to get to work, running late, etc)

3. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

I love it when riders say they're late.

I just tell them, "Good thing it only took me 5 minutes to get to you. If you'd called a cab, they would have taken 30-45 minutes!"

4. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

They don't care.
    Reality is no concern of theirs.
    1 star to you !

JTR, Rick N. and Grahamcracker like this.
  5. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    I hate this crap

The cab company i drive for does scheduled pickups... most of the time we are right on time but that 1/10 that we get backed up on.. man... no tip guaranteed, always a pain, traffic will inevitably be bad, it's horrid. I tell everyone to schedule it for 15 minutes sooner than you need it and 99% of the time you'll get there by the time you need to.

"

Danny3xd likes this.

6. shiftydrake

shiftydrake Well-Known Member

Bullchit....maybe in your market cuz every corner is infested with ants......but then again anybody with a car and license can be an Uber.......that's why they pay like they do

7. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Well-Known Member

That's just a rule with me, MT. If ya ain't 15 early, you're late. It just dumbfounds me that adult people, when they are late, expect everything to happen the way they want it to rather than the inevitable every thing going wrong in a time consuming way when they are late. Not my fault and no I will not run that red, speed or endanger any one for your lack of planning.

If I am late (and never am, well, very rare) I slow down. How many accident stories have you heard that began with "Well, I was running late..."

8. RamzFanz

RamzFanz Well-Known Member

Or better, call an Uber and they'll be there in 5 minutes.

9. RamzFanz

Are you kidding? St Louis is NOTORIOUS for long waits and no shows for cabs. An hour or three is a common complaint. I can't say I've ever heard a good cab story, and I've heard a million of them.

You don't seriously think any Uber driver couldn't be a cabbie if they wanted, do you? Why would I want to?

Pay? I probably make more than you.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  10. RamzFanz

The other night I get a ping followed by a text: "I'm in a bad spot! I'm late! HURRY!"

Cancel. Now you're in a worse spot. Your problems are not going to become mine with no tip offer.

11. shiftydrake

Why would it matter?.....does it make you feel like a man?....good now you can go have a cookie!...........I mean what I make is no concern to you now is it?.....go tell yourself whatever you want to believe and asking someone about what kind of money they make is a far stretch you all can compare but I will play no part........because it is no concern of yours........so keep talking and I await your response

12. RamzFanz

Your the one who brought up pay. No need to feel bad making less if you like what you do. I wouldn't.

13. shiftydrake

Ummm all I said was to the other driver Meats was isn't it great we can take cash I didn't bring up how much he makes or I make.....so go have another cookie

14. RamzFanz

Did I misunderstand? You weren't implying Uber drivers made less? Probably my bad, but let me refresh your memory.

simpsonsverytall likes this.
  15. shiftydrake

No what I was implying is the difference in rates between Uber and taxis wasn't comparing what each driver makes I really don't care what you make.......just like you shouldn't care what I make because I don't base my opinion on money I don't like anybody anyway

16. carcowbow16

carcowbow16 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Got a ping the other day, was there within >5 min, guy lets me wait for about 4 min, comes out and lets me load his suitcase. When he gets in, I started the ride, airport. OK, he immediately started that he was late, whatever I could do to get him there as fast as I could. Told him politely that I will do whatever I can but within the law and safety, he insisted that he wanted there fast. All throughout the first 20 min of the ride, he keeps telling me to speed up, I didn't engage anymore. Once we get to the airport, I ask him what time his plane left, we were 1hr 15min from his departure??. He lets me again unload his luggage, not even a thank you leave alone a tip, so much for putting this bs on me. 1 star ******* for sure.

17. tirebiter

tirebiter Active Member

Same here: I won't drive mornings in the city anymore, because most pax were late
    before I even got the Ping, and when you pick them up they are frantic, and late,
    and it's all YOUR FAULT. Regardless of when you drop them off, they were late.
    And now they are pissed off, need to blame YOU, and give you a 1-star.
    They're all just total jerks who are going to totally screw you.
    Don't need that.

Also, anyone who calls on the phone or texts to complain before I even
    arrive at their pick-up location: I just hang up the phone and cancel.
    Usually they are drunk (because it's night, and I won't do mornings anymore, see above...)
    Don't need that.

Let these riders go and abuse their pets, children, aged parents, whatever.
    Not me.

18. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Well it's irrelevant how much you make, I know that i can't make didly squat with uber in Orlando. Because the rates are just that horrible. Sure i could drop 50,000 on a select car and go work the airport, but the wait times to load get hilariously long.

It's easier to pay the cab company their pound of flesh than it is to actually make a living off of uber here. The simple reality is that we are only getting 54% per mile of what you are getting. Also Orlando sucks with the massive insane number of empty miles we get stuck driving.

Seeing as how i'm in the middle of running my numbers, well i'm at $35,000ish in profit working 4 days a week in the taxi. (44-48 hours a week)

If uberX rates were $1.20 a mile i'd probobly be doing uberX instead of the taxi. Actually looking at ALL the rates for St, Louis..

YOu guys get more for XL than we get with commercial insurance at the airport for what used to be uberblack.

For 2.40 a mile i'd buy myself a nice SUV and do XL/select.

But no, heres the DIFFERENCE in rates between orlando and St. Louis.

Select
    75c per mile MORE
    10c per minute MORE

St Louis
    • base Fare: $4
    • Per Minute: $0.40
    • Per Mile: $2.40
    • Cancellation Fee: $8
    • Service Fees: $1.70
    • Minimum Fare: $8

Orlando
    • Base Fare: $3
    • Per Minute: $0.30
    • Per Mile: $1.65
    • Cancellation Fee: $10
    • Service Fees: $1.85
    • Minimum Fare: $11

XL
    65c per mile MORE
    10C per minute MORE
    St Louis
    • Per Minute: $0.30
    • Per Mile: $1.80
    • Cancellation Fee: $5
    • Minimum Fare: $7
    Orlando
    • Per Minute: $0.20
    • Per Mile: $1.15
    • Minimum Fare: $8.05

X
    55c per mile MORE
    9C per minute MORE

St. Louis
    • Base Fare: $1.50
    • Per Minute: $0.20
    • Per Mile: $1.20
    • Minimum Fare: $5
    Orlando
    • Base Fare: $1
    • Per Minute: $0.11
    • Per Mile: $0.65
    • Minimum Fare: $5.85

the DIFFERENCE between Orlando and St. Louis on X is almost double.
    So take your rates and slash them by half with the exact same expenses and you'll see just how horrid the rates are here.

So... you will make better money in a fugly Sienna as we will with a Cadillac Escalade at MCO. Oh and Uber took away UberBlack from Orlando... leaving nothing past Select.

19. RamzFanz

I realize it's market dependent. I was replying to a cab driver in my market that likes to act like cabbing is so superior to Ubering. St Louis has some of the worst cab services around. Nightmare bad.

I'm moving to Select/XL very soon.

20. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

The thing that sucks is that it is lyft's fault it is so low in Orlando...