1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

How I rate customers.

Discussion in 'Advice' started by CowboyMC, Sep 26, 2014.

1. CowboyMC

CowboyMC Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I work in the New Brunswick, NJ area. Here is how I rate customers.
    5 Stars for a customer that tips.
    4 Stars is this the max for customers that do not tip.
    3 Stars if I take a client to the airport and help with 3 heavy bags and the customer doesn't tip.
    3 Stars for a customer that puts in the wrong pick-up address unless he tips.
    I've never rated a customer below 3 yet. Would have to be pretty bad. I did see a customer rated 1 star, i didn't accept that ride. Also, I have a sign on back of seat that says "TIPS appreciated". Clients think that the tip is included in the charge. I explain that some car services will automatically add a tip to the fare. UBER does not.
    What about you? How do you rate customers?

puber and SgtMurphy like this.
  2. Former Yellow Driver

Former Yellow Driver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Here is mine: All customers start with 5 stars

5 Stars for a customer that does all of the following:
    Puts in an accurate address or accurate pin location (deduct 1 if not)
    Is ready to LEAVE within 2 minutes of when I arrive (deduct 1 for 2-5 minutes) (1 more for 5+ minutes)
    Doesn't stink (deduct 1-5 points depending on grossness)
    Isn't obnoxious with his conversation (either with me, other passengers or on the phone)
    Tips

As you can see most non-tipping customers get 4 stars. It doesn't take much for some customers to be at 3 or less.

timmyolo likes this.
  3. grUBBER

grUBBER Well-Known Member

I rate everybody a 5 unless they are pain in the ass or they drive for uberx themselves. Those I rate a 1.

I don't believe in half-measures.
    If they didn't tip you, then you didn't put enough efforts in educating them on this issue.

Some ghetto people can't tip, they got no concept of it, so I don't expect them to, I don't try to change or educate them. They get 5s. I'm not on the power trip here it doesn't make me better than them because I have some ****ty stars to give out.

4. Former Yellow Driver

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Disagree.....but then so do you in your next sentence.
    I expect the " ghetto people" to use some of the money that they are saving from cab rides for the tip.
    Not sure it's a power trip. IMHO it's an evaluation of whether I would want to recommend this customer to the next driver or whether I would want to pick them up again. 4+ stars I wouldn't mind taking them again.

Badbeat likes this.
  5. grUBBER

grUBBER Well-Known Member

Then 1 and 5 is all you need. As I said, I don't believe in half-ass measures

6. Mimzy

Mimzy Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    In my experience, rating the customer is just folly, plain & simple either way.

If a rider rates a Driver a 1 - 3 they get a 'quick response' personal email from Uber asking for more information, apologizing - and note that the Uber driver will be put on immediate "review".

If a driver rates a Passenger a 1-3 - it falls on deaf ears and just absorbs into a black uber-hole. No reach out to the driver from Uber. No Passenger warning.

I've never even heard of a passenger that ever got deactivated - and it's not like they just couldn't just re-sign up with another card - very easily.

Badbeat and anexfanatic like this.
  7. Former Yellow Driver

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Is this true for all markets? Either I've never has a 1-3 rating or it doesn't apply to the SE Florida market.

8. Mimzy

Mimzy Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    The rider gets the email. Not the driver.

The "Review"/"Watch-list" the driver is put on happens all behind the scenes. The driver is usually left in the dark completely, until the "deactivation" email arrives should the driver be a serial offender of the "review criteria" or the rating drops below 4.5 or such - whichever comes first.

9. Former Yellow Driver

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Wellllll there is a helpful process. No feedback to the driver until it's too late for him/her to change their ways. As time goes by I become more certain that someone with a Ouija board is making the decisions for this company.

Badbeat likes this.
  10. LookyLou

LookyLou Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Here is my rating technique that I posted on the Lyft Lounge yesterday:

5* = Good.
    4* = Bad, but I would probably date them or their sister.
    3* = really bad but didn't commit any crimes. Might still date them.
    2* = Bad and committed a misdemeanor crime during the ride.
    1* = Bad and committed a felony or vomited in the car.

Chad A Gamble and Sacto Burbs like this.
  11. Mimzy

Mimzy Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Agreed! The only way to know is to notice a sudden or steep decrease in the overall rating. I've had a few of those 'bad weeks' and tried to coax some info from CSR's via the support system and always either received nothing - or "don't worry about it - keep up the good work. Uber on!"

SD Driver likes this.
  12. haji

haji Well-Known Member

try to give more 1 stars.

13. UberCemetery

UberCemetery Well-Known Member

I have said it before, and will say it again I rate Uber on how I am feeling about them. I take the rider out of the picture unless they are complete schmucks, for whatever reason. All this rating bull **** is for kids.

Sacto Burbs and scrurbscrud like this.
  14. Tommyo

Tommyo Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Rating is very childish. As a businessperson generally - i follow this - i get paid - you get a 5.

15. UberCemetery

UberCemetery Well-Known Member

Ok class you can earn 1 star if you dont interrupt the teacher. 2 stars if you raise your hand, when I am speaking when you have to go to the bathroom. 3 stars if you get a 100% grade on your assignment. We will count the stars at the end of the year, and you can receive a toy for the summer. :p

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    uberdriver likes this.
  16. uberdriver

uberdriver Well-Known Member

Well said. The rating of passengers is just BS. Nobody cares about it. Drivers rarely decide whether to take or not take a ping because it is 4.9 or 4.1 or whatever. And riders don't even know what their rating is. The whole idea that drivers have some saying in this business because they get to "rate" passengers is just one more type of deception of Uber towards its "partner" drivers. It is time that the term "Uber partner" be changed for what it really represents: indentured servant.

MoYusufNYC and SD Driver like this.
  17. ATXFALCON

ATXFALCON Active Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    below 4 = pain in the ass IMO. I usually give them 5, as long as their not snobs, or rude. I agree though, it doesn't really matter. Do many of you doing uber get many tips? I've done maybe 30 rides with no tip. Uber tells then no tip is needed right?

18. UberFizzle

UberFizzle Member

Here's how I typically rate my customers:

1-star deductions:
    You're not ready to go the second I pull up to the pickup location (my time is valuable, so I absolutely hate waiting for you)
    You make little to no effort to engage in conversation with me (this isn't a taxi)
    You're not clear with directions (I'm not about to make last minute turns or brakes because you weren't paying attention to the road)
    You slam my doors unnecessarily (pretty obvious)

2-star deductions:
    You leave trash in my car (this is my car, not yours)
    You talk loudly with each other (assuming there are at least 2 passengers) and are cursing left and right (keep your filthy language to yourself)
    You start touching the radio/ac/heater without asking (again, this is my car, not yours)

3-star deductions:
    You give me *any* type of attitude for *anything* (you should be happy if I don’t kick you out of my car)

I sometimes have more criteria, but it’s almost always on a case-by-case basis.

19. Chip Dawg

Chip Dawg Active Member

Should it be UberX drivers that DON'T leave a tip get a 1 star?

20. CowboyMC

CowboyMC Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    When you net only $0.02 a mile or less, TIPS COUNT. Customer rating system is very important. I DO use the rating system to pick-up clients. If the are rated less than 4.5, I don't pick them up. I am only interested in the clients that tip.