1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

How do taxi drivers keep their license?

Discussion in 'Sydney' started by fields, Jan 12, 2017 at 2:32 AM.

1. fields

fields Well-Known Member

Ok, taxi drivers arent the worst drivers on the road. That dubious honour goes to tradies in utes. But they are the second worst drivers on our roads.

How do these people keep their licenses? They are on the road 12 hours a day for 5-6 days a week and spend their entire day running red lights and changing lanes without indicating. Every day I am on the road there are taxis nearly running into me. They would run into me if I did not take evasive action. And don't even think about tooting your horn at them. Because if you do they go insane.

As a fulltime Uber driver I drive very conservatively as I cannot afford to get even one ticket yet taxi drivers drive like they are in a world of their own. Yet no-one does anything about it, its like they are above the law. A bit like bus drivers who seemingly can break every road rule known to mankind but still expect you to give way to them.

At least the worst drivers on roads, tradies in utes, do get pulled up all the time by police. Not so taxi drivers, they seemingly can get away with anything.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017 at 3:00 AM
  2. Terrychris

Terrychris Active Member

Its only been about 2 years now that NSW Taxi drivers have been required to wear selt belts.
    It seems Sydney Taxi Drivers can get away with pratically anything i agree.

Stopping in No Stopping ,even completely stopping on Main Roads and blocking traffic whilst pasengers get in and I once saw a Police car go around a Taxi on Oxford Street doing this .

I guess Police turn a blind eye in the majority of cases I dont know why, maybe they think the Taxi drivers are argumentative or something?

Even i have saw Taxis with groups of young blokes in them beer bottles in hand usually singing out the windows and no seat belts and Cop car keeps going !

I have seen it at about 4am on a weekend morning and all the Cop wants to do is get rid of the drunks from their area so they turn a blind eye !

In fact I have even seen Police Officers putting drunk people in a cab !

Now if that had been you and your Uber car with the young blokes in it would of been pulled over immediately and probaly even your Public Passenger Authority card taken away by the Officer.!!!
    How many times have you pulled up next to a Cab and the passenger is not wearing a seat belt ? Many times !
    Even Council Rangers very rarely book them.

As for Bus drivers im sure its Law you have to "Give Way" to them ?
    Im pretty sure that is under NSW Road Rules, isnt there a Give Way sign in the back of the bus?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017 at 3:08 AM
    fields likes this.
  3. fields

fields Well-Known Member

Yes we have to give way to them. But they do continuously block intersections and run red lights. They also never get pulled over for a random breath test whereas they should be the #1 target.

4. Terrychris

Terrychris Active Member

They get urine tested frequently by Drug detection Officers working for the Govt and breathe tested.

5. fields

fields Well-Known Member

Perhaps they do, perhaps they don't.

They should be subject to random breath testing just like the rest of us.

NightRider1983 likes this.

6. Coconutz

Coconutz Active Member

Your asking questions that are way out of the everyday power enforcement of any industry, which is why we have the costs, regulations and policies put in place to allow licensing. Amongst a host of other more underhanded, profiteering and unethical reasons.
    Under all the smoke and mirrors state govts provide to encourage public confidence the underlying factor of pure manpower in both real world dynamics as well as the administration behind processing ALL transgressions is well..... too much to comprehend let alone apply realistically.
    I like to think of it as be careful what you wish for, cause as much as we currently can get away with on a daily basis, you might just get what you wish for, across EVERYTHING that you do, not just driving.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017 at 9:36 AM
  7. Bexdog

Bexdog New Member

Bus drivers get breath tested before each shift (twice a day) and are tested for other drugs a few times a year. They are *******s on the road because they have targets they have to meet everyday. Don't hate the player....

8. Southuber

Southuber Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    On the other hand. Where I work at Chatswood it's almost impossible to get out of the driveway onto the road between 3-6pm. Hardly anyone lets you in (traffic jam all the time). 90% of people who let me out are bus drivers and taxis.

9. Aquarius

Aquarius Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Taxi industry used to pay money to the police in return for generous treatment. Not sure what's happening these days but I would imagine the relationship is still pretty cosy.

This is an area where we suffer through not having a well connected head office, union etc.

10. fields

fields Well-Known Member

We all have targets to meet.