Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Driving in LA since the latest pay cut

Pay 
27K views 69 replies 33 participants last post by  toi 
#1 ·
Okay, let me start by saying this is just ridiculous, and I really don't know if this post belongs in the Pay or Complaints category...since it's basically a complaint about the pay cut.

I've been driving for Uber since December, and this is the third pay cut I've seen in LA. First, they dropped the prices in January to stir up more business, and that was fine because A) It was legitimately pretty dead at that point and B) They ALSO dropped the commission they took from the drivers from 20% to 5%. Honestly, I thought all that was pretty heroic at the time. Then, a few months later, they put the commission back to 20% but kept the rates the same, BUT WAIT, they told us, it's okay, because we're getting an incentive of $1 per ride! Still a pay cut, but they were trying to soften the blow, I guess.

Now, in the past month or so, it's been one thing after another. First, we're informed that the $1 incentive will not last forever and will be yanked away whenever they feel like it. Next, oh, by the way, we're charging $10 a week for use of the phone. And they tell us this was always a thing that was never enforced, and they're just telling us about it now, but it's okay, because they're comping it until, once again, they feel like stopping. And then they tell us that, for MONTHS, they've been charging the riders less and just never told us about it (I heard from one of the riders about a month ago), and they've been paying the difference out of pocket and "Oh, did you notice you've been making more money? Wasn't that nice? Well, surprise! That's done now, but weren't we nice for paying the difference out of pocket?"

Driving at the new rates is a nightmare. One $4 fare after another, and with each of them, I'm just thinking, "This should be $6-7, and just last week, it was." It adds up or, more properly, really doesn't, very fast. But almost as bad as the pay cut itself is the smile the company continuously tries to paint on it. Each time there's been a cut, there's an email saying, "You see, though you'll be making less each trip, you'll actually just be making the same amount of money because you'll have more trips! Uber is getting bigger! Isn't that great?!" Yes, I'll be doing more work for less money and you expect me to smile and be happy the company is doing well, despite the fact that this is my only job and it was a pain BEFORE all of this? I signed off earlier than usual last night because I was honestly almost in tears because of my frustration. I just could not continue to put a happy face on this insanity for the sake of the riders. It makes me think that the company thinks I am deeply stupid.

Also, has anyone else experienced more clientele that are...problematic? When I first started, I didn't get a ride that I felt deserved a one-star rating for the first two months, and I got maybe two more after that. Three one-star rides in 8 months sounds great. (For the record, I only work a couple nights a week, so that might explain the low numbers). Anyway, I've had that many one-stars in the past two nights, and a bunch more that don't get more than a three-star rating. And in general, it takes a lot for me to rate someone below a five. So yes, more business is great, but as a female driver in Los Angeles at night, the last thing I want is riders that make me feel unsafe.

I don't know if a strike is the answer because I honestly don't believe that Uber cares, but I know there is no one person I can go to to air these frustrations. What, am I gonna send this essay to the partnersla email? I'll just get a copy-paste reply that answers nothing. In my eight months with Uber, I've met maybe three other Uber drivers in person, and those were all by chance. The nature of our jobs makes organization very difficult, and the god-awful economy assures that too many people are afraid of not having the little money we're given to do anything about these pay cuts.

But seriously, something needs to be done.

P.S. To any person who read all the way to the end of that, bravo. You're kinda my hero on this awful weekend.

See less See more
#7 ·
I've been complaining about the new rates and it's gotten me pretty down on the whole driving thing. I'm actually amazed at how many drivers don't care and are still out there all day and night driving for pennies.
With that said, I'm willing to acknowledge nothing is going to change. Ubers main goal is to eliminate the driver for the google car. They will continue to lower the prices and there's no way to change it. I'm gonna be positive and focus on my real goals in life cause working for a company like this is only going to ruin my mental health.

#26 ·
I've been complaining about the new rates and it's gotten me pretty down on the whole driving thing. I'm actually amazed at how many drivers don't care and are still out there all day and night driving for pennies.
With that said, I'm willing to acknowledge nothing is going to change. Ubers main goal is to eliminate the driver for the google car. They will continue to lower the prices and there's no way to change it. I'm gonna be positive and focus on my real goals in life cause working for a company like this is only going to ruin my mental health.
I think you're right. Well said. It's demoralizing and dis-empowering.

#12 ·
UberX is going to be more like Airlines......barebones service b/c it is a price war. As a driver I feel the same feelings shared on this board. Though one of the reasons I decided to drive is b/c it is an optional gig. And as such, if I don't see my earnings improve I will just mail my iPhone back. There is only one thing Uber listens to and that's when drivers quit.....complaining about it is not going to do anything.

#13 ·
Pilots make good money and don't provide their own airplanes, so no, this is nothing like the airlines. People use Uber because it's convenient, the cars are clean, and the drivers are polite and speak English, not because it's cheap. Uber did not need to lower fares even more than they already were. They ramble on about the 25% promotion that they paid for. That was the cost of marketing. Now with all the press and the people that are 'in the know', there is no need for a continued price cut.

Riders were already receiving a superior service at a lower price vs. the taxi companies. The rate reductions were unnecessary to keep and grow current market share, no matter what some San Fran bean counter told them at corporate. They will suffer as a company because of that move.

#22 ·
Yeah, as some of you mentioned, the latest pay cut was COMPLETELY unnecessary. Uber is already driving taxis out of business. They're already much more popular than Lyft, at least from what I've seen in LA. So why the pay cut? What, do they want to achieve a monopoly even more quickly? I know the real reason is because there's some soulless analyst there telling the soulless corporate drones that this will make them more money, but at the same time, it just feels kind of, well...sadistic. It's not like they NEED more money, so it really just feels like they're torturing us for fun.

In related news, I have a friend who drives, and his dad met one of the Uber investors, and they got to talking about the state of things. The investor eventually said something along the lines of, "As an investor, Uber is amazing, and I couldn't be more pleased with the money I'm making. As a human being, I think I may be going to hell for what we're doing to the drivers."

So really, it's not like they don't know they've created an awful situation. They're just not willing to do anything to slow their cash flow.

#36 ·
No, I don't work for Lyft....yet. I'm gonna apply though, for them and for Sidecar. Just want to find out if a driver referral code exists, like it does on Uber, to get someone an extra benefit from my driving, if possible. I've already got one from Sidecar, just need to find one from Lyft. So it's good I joined up here, because I'm guessing somewhere on this forum is a great place to find such a thing.

#34 · (Edited)
All I can say is bravo to you..... I had to put up with the on star jack ass' s myself, after the cut began, I'm not so nice to the one Star a holes like jumping around in car, I pull over and tell them to get out or get a party bus, or respect my car. I won't put up with rude riders anymore uber doesn't pay me enough for the abuse, I won't take it and haven't since our pay cuts, and I ask them now how come you don't tip drivers, they say uber takes out the tip, I tell them that's a lie and explain our new pay cuts to them, I'm pissed too but then Saturday I picked up a driver that works for uber who told me we were going to make more money with the new ridership I just asked him to find another ride and canceled the ride and I still got a 4.8 go figure, I just shut rude people down now I won't tolerate it, I work for lyft and side car now too ****ed uber. The only reason I'm still here is to see if someone's got the guts to respond in kind. Some of the uber suckass' s should try if you can do the math make the right deductions you'll see what your really making. If you want to do a app shut down, you need to realize uber has almost everyone thinking they are making big cash, it's mostly our dumbed up youth who refuse to believe there are things that need to be deducted, gas food wear and tear ect.... dressing like your ceo. The just see the check and start telling everyone they are ballers now.

This post has been deleted
#48 ·
Hi everyone who driving in Los Angeles.On September 2 Tuesday at 6PM will be UberX protest regarding PRICE CUTS.For now there will be around 800 drivers,please come over and invite more people who driving for UberX. We are trying to invite more.More drivers more powerful protest.We are not fool to drive for 1.10$ 1ml.
THE PLACE is
Ventura Blvd & Lankershim Blvd Los Angeles, CA 91604

#39 ·
We provide a service twice as effective and pleasurable for riders for less than half the price so what's our compensation? More of a price cut and less comission paid. And when did Uber ever asked us if we were o.k. with that? Never. It's a fascist totalitarian regime if you ask me. No democracy whatsoever. They seem to forget were not employees, we're independent contractors, remember? And if Uber states otherwise I have my income tax 1099 form emailed by them that states that fact.

#40 ·
Ever notice all these pay cuts, fees bullshit came after we were forced to sign the "arbitration only you can't sue us if you want to drive for us" contract? And when Goldman Sachs invested into it? They are the biggest slave drivers and part of the reason the economy bottomed out in 2008. Anything they stick there tentacles in turns out this way. Look up the articles on them, you'll see...

#45 ·
Here is my follow up to Goldman Sachs a big investor into Uber....it's a couple years ago, but the business ethic is still the same if not worse. If some of you would like to know why this company operates on the shady side, this should give some insight.... http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/opinion/why-i-am-leaving-goldman-sachs.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Today, many of these leaders display a Goldman Sachs culture quotient of exactly zero percent. I attend derivatives sales meetings where not one single minute is spent asking questions about how we can help clients. It's purely about how we can make the most possible money off of them. If you were an alien from Mars and sat in on one of these meetings, you would believe that a client's success or progress was not part of the thought process at all.

This Rolling Stone piece will also give some insight into the Uber biz model.....http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...the-mega-banks-most-devious-scam-yet-20140212

If some of you think this is complete bullshit and it's the American way of doing business? Then you get what you deserve. Fair warning

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.