1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Driving in LA since the latest pay cut

Discussion in 'Pay' started by QuietViolence, Aug 24, 2014.

QuietViolence

QuietViolence Member

Okay, let me start by saying this is just ridiculous, and I really don't know if this post belongs in the Pay or Complaints category...since it's basically a complaint about the pay cut.

I've been driving for Uber since December, and this is the third pay cut I've seen in LA. First, they dropped the prices in January to stir up more business, and that was fine because A) It was legitimately pretty dead at that point and B) They ALSO dropped the commission they took from the drivers from 20% to 5%. Honestly, I thought all that was pretty heroic at the time. Then, a few months later, they put the commission back to 20% but kept the rates the same, BUT WAIT, they told us, it's okay, because we're getting an incentive of $1 per ride! Still a pay cut, but they were trying to soften the blow, I guess.

Now, in the past month or so, it's been one thing after another. First, we're informed that the $1 incentive will not last forever and will be yanked away whenever they feel like it. Next, oh, by the way, we're charging $10 a week for use of the phone. And they tell us this was always a thing that was never enforced, and they're just telling us about it now, but it's okay, because they're comping it until, once again, they feel like stopping. And then they tell us that, for MONTHS, they've been charging the riders less and just never told us about it (I heard from one of the riders about a month ago), and they've been paying the difference out of pocket and "Oh, did you notice you've been making more money? Wasn't that nice? Well, surprise! That's done now, but weren't we nice for paying the difference out of pocket?"

Driving at the new rates is a nightmare. One $4 fare after another, and with each of them, I'm just thinking, "This should be $6-7, and just last week, it was." It adds up or, more properly, really doesn't, very fast. But almost as bad as the pay cut itself is the smile the company continuously tries to paint on it. Each time there's been a cut, there's an email saying, "You see, though you'll be making less each trip, you'll actually just be making the same amount of money because you'll have more trips! Uber is getting bigger! Isn't that great?!" Yes, I'll be doing more work for less money and you expect me to smile and be happy the company is doing well, despite the fact that this is my only job and it was a pain BEFORE all of this? I signed off earlier than usual last night because I was honestly almost in tears because of my frustration. I just could not continue to put a happy face on this insanity for the sake of the riders. It makes me think that the company thinks I am deeply stupid.

Also, has anyone else experienced more clientele that are...problematic? When I first started, I didn't get a ride that I felt deserved a one-star rating for the first two months, and I got maybe two more after that. Three one-star rides in 8 months sounds great. (For the record, I only work a couple nights a week, so that might explain the low numbers). Anyway, I've had that many one-stars in the past two nights, and a bunch more that don't get more than a three-star rating. And in general, it takes a lot for me to rate someone below a five. So yes, more business is great, but as a female driver in Los Angeles at night, the last thing I want is riders that make me feel unsafe.

I don't know if a strike is the answer because I honestly don't believe that Uber cares, but I know there is no one person I can go to to air these frustrations. What, am I gonna send this essay to the partnersla email? I'll just get a copy-paste reply that answers nothing. In my eight months with Uber, I've met maybe three other Uber drivers in person, and those were all by chance. The nature of our jobs makes organization very difficult, and the god-awful economy assures that too many people are afraid of not having the little money we're given to do anything about these pay cuts.

But seriously, something needs to be done.

P.S. To any person who read all the way to the end of that, bravo. You're kinda my hero on this awful weekend.

getemtheresafely

getemtheresafely Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I feel your pain sister!!!!......6 months, 520 rides, 14000 miles and $ 8043.00 for me doesn't really mean squat considering my expenses

drovetobroke91604

drovetobroke91604 New Member

Last night was my first night driving on the new rates. I'm disgusted. I won't drive thru the Hollywood hills to pick someone up for. $4. Why bother? Uber doesn't care. There's a million drivers willing to do it.

TaninLa likes this.
    LAuberX

LAuberX Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I cancelled a total of 15 rides after I accepted them yesterday because they were over 10 minutes away.

I could see closer cars on the customer app, what gives?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    JerryP. and grams777 like this.
    SupaJ

SupaJ Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    OriginalGeek likes this.
    The LAwnmower

The LAwnmower Member

I actually enjoy driving for Uber. Meeting people from different walks of life and making a few bucks. But there is a price for everything. This latest round of price cuts is under my price. While I only work about 4 or 5 hours on weekend nights this was the first weekend I didn't make over $100 bucks either night. Sad.

remy, NoMoreSilence and LAuberX like this.
    drovetobroke91604

drovetobroke91604 New Member

I've been complaining about the new rates and it's gotten me pretty down on the whole driving thing. I'm actually amazed at how many drivers don't care and are still out there all day and night driving for pennies.
    With that said, I'm willing to acknowledge nothing is going to change. Ubers main goal is to eliminate the driver for the google car. They will continue to lower the prices and there's no way to change it. I'm gonna be positive and focus on my real goals in life cause working for a company like this is only going to ruin my mental health.

UberXWhip

UberXWhip Member

More ridership my ass. Demand is the same or less than what it was. I'm in the OC market right next to LA. Been sitting here for over an hour without a single ping...too many f-ing drivers! A month ago I'd turn my phone on Sunday morn at 9am and get pinged in 10 mins and then continuously all day long...

grams777 and LAuberX like this.
    UberXWhip

UberXWhip Member

[​IMG]

I just realized why I'm not getting pinged... we're all on top of each other begging for pennies...

JerryP. and grams777 like this.
    skccvb

skccvb Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It's the same everywhere...far too many drivers chasing a finite amount of pings, at a fraction of what it SHOULD pay...

Just Some Guy and NoMoreSilence like this.
    LookyLou

LookyLou Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Very well said and I am sure most drivers here, in their own way feel the same. And yes I did read it to the end as I'm sure most have.

I hope being able to vent here is helpful to you and wish you the best of luck. :)

NoMoreSilence likes this.
    Eaton Zhou

Eaton Zhou New Member

UberX is going to be more like Airlines......barebones service b/c it is a price war. As a driver I feel the same feelings shared on this board. Though one of the reasons I decided to drive is b/c it is an optional gig. And as such, if I don't see my earnings improve I will just mail my iPhone back. There is only one thing Uber listens to and that's when drivers quit.....complaining about it is not going to do anything.

UberXWhip

UberXWhip Member

Pilots make good money and don't provide their own airplanes, so no, this is nothing like the airlines. People use Uber because it's convenient, the cars are clean, and the drivers are polite and speak English, not because it's cheap. Uber did not need to lower fares even more than they already were. They ramble on about the 25% promotion that they paid for. That was the cost of marketing. Now with all the press and the people that are 'in the know', there is no need for a continued price cut.

Riders were already receiving a superior service at a lower price vs. the taxi companies. The rate reductions were unnecessary to keep and grow current market share, no matter what some San Fran bean counter told them at corporate. They will suffer as a company because of that move.

MKEUber

MKEUber Member

Good money? A full time uber driver makes more than a first officer at a regional airline where starting pay is around $20,000 a year.

UberXWhip

UberXWhip Member

Fuck some of you people are argumentative pukes. No wonder you drive for Uber. Regional airlines.....jesus...totally missed the point just to give a smart ass answer. Have fun making $3 an hour. Probably more than you deserve.

UberNation and pepelemoko like this.
    Oc_DriverX

Oc_DriverX Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    And in what market and in what time frame would this full time UberX driver be making this money? Perhaps in the past in the right market. I doubt there are many markets where this might be possible. The one that comes to mind would be SF, where I don't think the fares have dropped as much. I suspect that might be because they don't want drivers protesting in front of the headquarters we help pay for.

remy

remy Active Member

For every driver that says, " I like driving for Uber." Uber cuts more fares.

UberDC likes this.
    MKEUber

MKEUber Member

How ironic for you to say that. Looking at your previous posts, there is not a bigger "argumentative puke" in here than yourself.

I was just making a point on how ignorant you are thinking every airline pilot is well compensated. Sure, those that have worked for over 20 years are making a decent living in the low 6 figures, but they had a long road of poor pay to get there. Pay and benefits have nosedived in the last decade, mostly to supplement your $97 fare to Phoenix.

Dave P

Dave P Member

I would bet that you'll be deactivated very soon. I haven't driven since the pay cut.

Rosita22 and grams777 like this.
    DriverNotNamedCrash

DriverNotNamedCrash Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Just give them 2 or 3 stars.

Lynn and grams777 like this.