Uber Drivers Forum banner

Don't stop at bus zone at Caltrain

5K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Red Leader 
#1 ·
Saw Sfmta writing plates down today. Looks like they're enforcing it everyday now.

Anyone know if it's legal to follow the guy with a sign saying: "do not stop, $288 ticket"?

For the 3 minutes I was there waiting at the pickup spot, I saw the guy write down 3 plates. 288 x 3=864 in 3 minutes. Sfmta is making bank off this location.

#2 ·
Haha who had the guts to stop there today ? place was crawling with police. Some chick pinged me there then cancelled immediately. I was relieved !

any advice on how to cancel out such pax requesting from there during a line without looking very bad in front of pax already in the car ? I usually just hit arrived then wait for the timer to finish

#3 ·
Haha who had the guts to stop there today ? place was crawling with police. Some chick pinged me there then cancelled immediately. I was relieved !

any advice on how to cancel out such pax requesting from there during a line without looking very bad in front of pax already in the car ? I usually just hit arrived then wait for the timer to finish
Ugh, didn't even think about Lyft Line, you can't cancel without canceling the whole trip.

#4 ·
I had some joker request me there, expecting me to pick her up in the no stopping zone. I had parked up in the passenger loading zone on Townsend, which coincidentally and very handily has a five minute wait limit, just like I do.

She phoned me after four minutes and, after hearing where I was, informed me that lots of other Ubers were picking up their customers where she was standing, that I should have phoned her upon arrival and invited her to relocate to the passenger pick up zone etc etc. Needless to say, with this she disqualified herself from receiving service and I cancelled her dead on 5 minutes. Cha-ching; thanks for playing; next!

#6 ·
In the 3 minutes 1 was a Uber/Lyft and 2 were normal people.

My advice is stop at the loading zone and call when you get there/on the way. If they don't show after 5. Cha Ching.

But who thinks we should mess with the Sfmta and follow the ticket guys around? Lol

I'm seriously pissed that they are giving tickets on a weekend with limited bus service

#9 · (Edited)
Wish I saw this thread and was notified by Uber about SF problem spots, before getting this bus zone ticket.

I just read that there is plan to add rideshare zones, "Thanks to a $50,000 grant, Livable City —which is involved in policy, legislation and planning to create a safer, healthier and more accessible city—is aiming to "Curb the Cluster." The Just Transit SF grant, announced today, was administered by the 11th Hour Project, a program of the Schmidt Family Foundation. " (I can't post a link to that news article here until I get approved to post links, but I found it on hoodline, posted there in 2015/12 and planned to be available by Nov 2017?)

Does Uber provide a guide for SF drivers? Similar to the Up-Lyft guide? (Do a google search for 'caltrain' on 'uplyft-sf'.) They say in that guide, "San Francisco’s main CalTrain station is another example of drop-offs made difficult by Muni and taxicabs. You should never drop off passengers directly at the 4th Street entrance to the station…that entrance is lined by bus stops and frequently patrolled by parking control officers. There’s a side entrance on Townsend Street that works much better, but involved dropping off in a narrow (red curb) zone behind a bus stop and at the front of the taxi rank. Be prepared for some dirty looks, but I’ve never had a real problem dropping off at that location."

#10 ·
Wish I saw this thread and was notified by Uber about SF problem spots, before getting this bus zone ticket.

I just read that there is plan to add rideshare zones, "Thanks to a $50,000 grant, Livable City -which is involved in policy, legislation and planning to create a safer, healthier and more accessible city-is aiming to "Curb the Cluster." The Just Transit SF grant, announced today, was administered by the 11th Hour Project, a program of the Schmidt Family Foundation. " (I can't post a link to that news article here until I get approved to post links, but I found it on hoodline, posted there in 2015/12 and planned to be available by Nov 2017?)
It's not a problem spot. You were never allowed to stop in a bus stop. That's not an Uber thing, that's just how it is. Anyone with compassion doesn't like seeing the bus driver who is already got a tough job, having to wait for a stupid car to move so they can get out of traffic to make their stop to go about their route as efficiently as possible. If I were MTA, I'd be fed up with Uber drivers too. Not all of us are bad, but this city is packed with morons doing moronic stuff on the roads that everyone is supposed to be sharing. Giving citations is the only way to make some poeple care. Just don't stop in bus stops and you won't get the ticket. Adn don't say "but the pax is there". In 3 years full time, I haven't got one of these tix, and it's not cuz my pax are all smart considerate people. Sometimes they don't get picked up by me cuz they aren't smart considerate people. Sometimes I call ahead when I see their pin is in a bus stop and I tell them where to walk (if there rating is high enough to give me hope they can follow simple instructions on the phone). And yes, my tone is harsher than it needs to be. But that's cuz I'm a miserable person, it's not personal.

#14 ·
How do you have this picture handy just for this use? I had a car sitting behind where that van is in the picture. A bus was in the stop next to me. I was on the phone with my pax telling him I can't stop at caltrain, while I'm sitting there behind cars at the red light. Suddenly the pax opens the rear door, so I hung up, a little annoyed cuz I was trying to arrange a legitimate pick up and had just gotten his ping 10 seconds ago after droppping someone off in the loading zone. I turn back to see the traffic light. It turns green, then I hear a horrible wrenching noise. I look back. The pax is fully sat down in the back seat, not still getting in. The bus started going when the light turned green and apparently the back door was opened all the way where the pax left it while he sat himself down comfortably. Did I mention the horrible wrenching noise?

Good thing it wasn't my car and only cost me the lost days of work while a new door was put on. And little girls wonder wyhy I "am mean" sometimes. Cuz I have no faith that people will make smart decisions concerning my car any more. Why was he just sitting there with the door opened near a bus while we're in the middle of the road? I mean, get in quick and pull the door closed with you, dont' wait to get comfortable, then sit down. But so many people do this slow luxurious entering of the car. I hate them.

#17 ·
There is one. It's probably in this year old thread. Maybe right before yr post even.

#18 ·
I had ticket last year cause passenger don't want to get off coming from 3rd and Townsend making left turn to drop him off on 4 th st entrance however cause subway construction and super heavy rush hour traffic I stuck right at bus stop area which I never seen bus on 4th st cal train station side it was not even moving at all then I got mail on NEW YEAR EVE $288 I pay lawyer $125 to nothing traffic school and NO POINT. I'm just lazy don't want to deal w it I was pretty upset those tickets people are intentionally giving tickets every day instead police officer should be in middle of street to navigate all crazy traffic I will never pick up or drop off people that corner allwats ask passengers to meet me half block from from there it's almost targeting uber and Lyft drivers

#19 ·
Seriously?

Some of you people are incredibly thick (I am not fat shaming).

There are three "Passenger Zones."

1) In front of Walgreens. Temporarily closed.

2) Under the "Passenger Loading Zone" before the "Taxi Loading Zone" on Townsend.

3) An additional "Passenger Loading Zone" before the closer "Passenger Loading Zone" also on Townsend.

If you cannot figure this shite out, please forfeit your passports and return to Sacramento/Modesto/Fresno/or Bakersfield.

And...stop sleeping in front of my gosh darn driveway. Or pay up the SF rent prices to do so.

#20 ·
Its legal. It should be illegal for them to people without contact.

How do you have this picture handy just for this use? I had a car sitting behind where that van is in the picture. A bus was in the stop next to me. I was on the phone with my pax telling him I can't stop at caltrain, while I'm sitting there behind cars at the red light. Suddenly the pax opens the rear door, so I hung up, a little annoyed cuz I was trying to arrange a legitimate pick up and had just gotten his ping 10 seconds ago after droppping someone off in the loading zone. I turn back to see the traffic light. It turns green, then I hear a horrible wrenching noise. I look back. The pax is fully sat down in the back seat, not still getting in. The bus started going when the light turned green and apparently the back door was opened all the way where the pax left it while he sat himself down comfortably. Did I mention the horrible wrenching noise?

Good thing it wasn't my car and only cost me the lost days of work while a new door was put on. And little girls wonder wyhy I "am mean" sometimes. Cuz I have no faith that people will make smart decisions concerning my car any more. Why was he just sitting there with the door opened near a bus while we're in the middle of the road? I mean, get in quick and pull the door closed with you, dont' wait to get comfortable, then sit down. But so many people do this slow luxurious entering of the car. I hate them.
Thats exactly why I lock my doors in between all trips.. Anyone with a half an ounce of decency knows to make eye contact before entering someone's vehicle on a busy street.

I was reminded last week in Fidi whem I forgot to lock my doors while I was offline and this old man jumped in my car. He couldn't quite comprehend that I was not his driver because he just "ordered one." Mind you, I'm a female in downtown SF . . Though I am not scared, I dont want random people jumping in my car at any time without contact and I will respond with defensive action.

I didn't even have an Uber sticker on my car..

#22 ·
Its legal. It should be illegal for them to people without contact.

Thats exactly why I lock my doors in between all trips.. Anyone with a half an ounce of decency knows to make eye contact before entering someone's vehicle on a busy street.

I was reminded last week in Fidi whem I forgot to lock my doors while I was offline and this old man jumped in my car. He couldn't quite comprehend that I was not his driver because he just "ordered one." Mind you, I'm a female in downtown SF . . Though I am not scared, I dont want random people jumping in my car at any time without contact and I will respond with defensive action.

I didn't even have an Uber sticker on my car..
Did ya beat him up Bambi.

#21 ·
Tradedress was in the window. I was offline.

I was the third car in a row of six at the Arby's drive through (do not judge me --their roast beef is "famous" for a reason, and all the SF area Arby's are closed).

A guy approaches my car and asks me if I was available to take him home.

Almost spoiled my Giant Roast Beef with Arby's and Horsey sauce.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.