1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Australian Ride Sharing Wiki and Info Page

Discussion in 'Australia' started by g00r, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Grand

Grand Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    Transporting children.

National child restraint laws

• Children up to the age of six months must be secured in an approved rearward facing restraint
    • Children aged from six months old but under four years old must be secured in either a rear or forward facing approved child restraint with an inbuilt harness
    • Children under four years old cannot travel in the front seat of a vehicle with two or more rows
    • Children aged from four years old but under seven years old must be secured in a forward facing approved child restraint with an inbuilt harness or an approved booster seat
    • Children aged from four years old but under seven years old cannot travel in the front seat of a vehicle with two or more rows, unless all other back seats are occupied by children younger than seven years in an approved child restraint or booster seat
    • Children aged from seven years old but under 16 years old who are too small to be restrained by a seatbelt properly adjusted and fastened are strongly recommended to use an approved booster seat
    • Children in booster seats must be restrained by a suitable lap and sash type approved seatbelt that is properly adjusted and fastened, or by a suitable approved child safety harness that is properly adjusted and fastened.
    See links
    http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/children/childcarseats/
    http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/safety/driver-guide/child-restraints/child-restraint-laws.aspx
    https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/saf...of-road-rules/seat-belts-and-child-restraints
    https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/saf...estraints/children-aged-between-7-to-16-years
    http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/seats-and-seat-belts.asp
    https://www.childcarseats.com.au/legal-requirements
    https://www.nswtaxi.org.au/passengers/faqs
    http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/taxis/general-information-and-updates.asp
    IMG_1773.PNG

See also Forum blog
    http://uberpeople.net/threads/child-seats-carrying-children-insurance-uber-family.33970/

Forum comments
    Check your specific State requirements
    You are NOT expected to supply capsules or booster seats. That is the responsibility of passengers.

2. ricdam

ricdam Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I have been working over the past year on an easy and comprehensive control for my Uber income and decided to share it with you guys, my fellow Uber drivers. It can be very helpful specially for new drivers or who has not created it's own control yet.

This is an Excel spreadsheet so you need Microsoft Excel to run it. It gives you on real time, information about GST, tax, BAS, logbook, expenses, income and averages. You can also add another income.

You can see and download the spreadsheet itself here, and an example spreadsheet here (the download button is on the top right corner).

Below you can see some screenshots and how it would look over a year:

Summary:
    [​IMG]

Income:
    [​IMG]

Expenses:
    [​IMG]

Logbook:
    [​IMG]

Charts:
    [​IMG]

ZacHudson777 and MyRedUber like this.
  3. ZacHudson777

ZacHudson777 Active Member

Do these conditions still apply today?

4. MyRedUber

MyRedUber Well-Known Member

This was advice that I received by email and phone from RMS. I haven't been advised otherwise.
    BUT, you may have trouble convincing a police officer. I carry a copy of this email with me in the car:

--- quote ---
    From: RMS Customer Relations [mailto:customer@rms.nsw.gov.au]
    Sent: Wednesday, 30 March 2016 1:34 PM
    To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: RMS Ref: 00054526 [ ref:_00D28HSVA._50028AL5eH:ref ]

[​IMG]

Dear Mr Xxxxxxxx

Thank you for your email to Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) about the rules applying to UberX vehicles for picking up and dropping off passengers in a clearway.

Under the NSW Road Rules 2014, the definition of a “taxi” includes a private hire vehicle such as an UberX vehicle.

Under the NSW Road Rules 2014 a private hire vehicle, such as an UberX vehicle:
    • is not permitted to stop in a Taxi Zone
    • is permitted to use a Transit Lane even when carrying the driver only
    • is permitted to pick up or drop off passengers in a clearway
    • is permitted to pick up or drop off passengers in a bus lane and transit lane, and use a bus lane, providing the private hire vehicle had a Hire Car licence in force before 18 December 2015. Since that date, RMS no longer issues new Hire Car (HC) registration plates.
    An UberX vehicle must also be registered for business use, and the driver must hold a current Private Hire Vehicle driver authority.

I hope this information has been of assistance to you.

If you have any further questions, Mr Chris Wong, Technical Officer at Roads and Maritime, would be pleased to take your call on (02) 8588 5684.

Thank you.
    Roads and Maritime Services
    www.rms.nsw.gov.au
    Every journey matters
    --- end quote ---

Note that "pick up or drop off passengers in a bus lane and transit lane, and use a bus lane" is only available to private hire vehicles with HC plates, not UberX vehicles.

Following that email, I rang Mr Chris Wong, confirmed the above, and also confirmed that it is ok to stop to pick up or drop off in the following zones: No Parking, Loading, Works, Construction, Truck, near Mail Box except if the Mail Box is in a Mail Zone.

In summary, UberX drivers have all the same rights, responsibilities and limitations of any private driver, except that we are allowed to drive in Transit Lanes and we are allowed to stop to pick up and drop off in Clearways.

ZacHudson777 likes this.
  5. ZacHudson777

This is an invaluable piece of information that's very useful in sticky situations. Could I get a copy of this?

6. MyRedUber

Can you copy and print it from the above post?

7. ZacHudson777

I tried to 'snip it and screenshot' but it still didn't fit proportionately... :(

8. MyRedUber

Try this:

Attached Files:

9. ZacHudson777

Thanks My Red Uber. Perfect. By the way - just to let you know I read a lot of your commentaries/posts before I started out here; and carried that knowledge and confidence into the actual driving experience, so heads up mate. Really appreciate you paying it forward, as they say. Cheers! :)

MyRedUber likes this.
  10. Grand

Grand Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    Getting paid

Uber extract below

How and when Payment happens
    * Each pay period begins on Monday at 4am and ends on the following Monday at 3:59am.
    * You will receive an email on Mondays with a link to your pay statement. You can also log in to your Partner Dashboard at partners.uber.com and click on ‘Pay Statements’ on the lefthand side to see each weekly statement.
    * Your earnings are provided via direct deposit into your bank account every Thursday.

How Earnings are Calculated
    The fare you see when you end a trip will not be the final amount you are paid for that trip, it is the total amount that is being charged to the rider.

There are several things that make up this number:
    1. Trip Fare: this is based on the time and distance of the trip.
    2. Booking Fee: each trip includes a booking fee, which may vary by city, that Uber collects from the rider on your behalf.
    3. Tolls: if you had to pay a toll while on the trip, or crossed a bridge that requires a toll going either direction the total amount of this toll will be included in the fare.

Your earnings for each trip will only include the Trip Fare and any Tolls. There is also an Uber Fee associated with each trip, which is applied based on a % of the Trip Fare. The Uber Fee is never applied to tolls, for which you receive direct reimbursement in full.

Forum comments
    Sometimes you may get paid earlier than Thursday.

Tolls are only charged while pax is on the trip. Tolls are not reimbursed at any other time eg while on the way to pick up pax.

Sometimes fares over $100 are held by Uber. They are paid once the uber system verifies and confirms the veracity of that fare. You will get paid that week, or if not the next.

11. MyRedUber

On one of my early trips, the Uber navigation sent me via a toll road to the pickup. I messaged Uber Support and they reimbursed the toll.

ZacHudson777 and Grand like this.
  12. ZacHudson777

This is a great tool for what I understand, but I'm having a problem putting separate km in KM UBER and KM PRIVATE after inputting ODO Start and Finish. The total ODO figure jumps into KM UBER only. Can you advise, please? Thanks.

13. ricdam

ricdam Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Hey mate. When you buy a logbook for example in Officeworks, you will just write your business mileage there. Same thing with the spreadsheet, you just insert your business usage. The formulas will calculate the difference as private use.

For example your start is 1000km and finish 1500km, then you go travel for private reasons with your car and after a week you are back and will be Ubering again, and your start after travelling is 2000km. The formulas will calculate you drove 500km for private reasons.

Got it?

ZacHudson777 likes this.