1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Featured Are you ready to put this crap on the roof of your car?

Discussion in 'News' started by BurgerTiime, Jan 4, 2017.

?
  1. No way!

2. For sure!

3. Only if they pay me!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Undermensch

Undermensch Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Putting a light on your roof would be illegal? It's just a light. It's not soliciting rides, so you really are saying that just putting a light on your roof is illegal.

To that I ask: have you heard of Dominos Pizza?

2. Trebor

Trebor Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    [​IMG]

I thought they decided to go with the light Uber sign instead, not that dumb top light. Anyways, that top bar better be battery operated with a long battery life. Good luck trying to get me to drill holes in my roof for a power cord.

Most drivers won't know how to run cords correctly to hide them in the dash. It is going to make cars look more tacky.

LadyDi likes this.
  3. Ubercycle

Ubercycle Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    you may need $xx/day for advertising, you are an independent contractor, Uber will use the cost of this sign for tax advertising deductions, as a car owner, I don't see any benefits, except pax will treat your car as cab car or bus

LadyDi likes this.
  4. Ubercycle

Ubercycle Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Uber = use your car to make extra cash, not convert your car into taxi

5. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    When
    When Dominos drivers put the signage on the roof, they are carrying commercial insurance and considered a commercial vehicle conducting business.
    Uber drivers are not carrying commercial insurance, not considered a commercial vehicle and hence do not benefit from bylaws that allow them to roam the streets like a taxi, limo or shuttle bus.

LadyDi, TwoFiddyMile and supernaut like this.

6. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Well-Known Member

No thank you. Here are a few reasons why...
    • psychologically encourages the pax to think that we really are just taxi cabs (no offense) and to treat us as such
    • Taxis at least have commercial insurance. Uber expects us to insure our cars but portray them like Taxis?
    • unless Uber plans to pay for labor to get them installed, most drivers would install it improperly (or damage their car in the process)
    • it looks tacky IMO (less is better)
    • makes Uber drivers on the road a bigger target to those not in favor of Uber
    • added stress to an already stressful gig -- having to take off the sign daily if you don't drive full-time or use your vehicle for other tasks or work.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    LadyDi and supernaut like this.
  7. ChortlingCrison

ChortlingCrison Well-Known Member

Uber is a taxi service. Ride share means two or pax sharing a ride.

8. Blackout 702

Blackout 702 Well-Known Member

Yes, a company that has a mockup generally plans on using it, but not in this case. Of course they may change their minds in the future, who's to say? Sometimes patents are filed just to keep a competitor from using a concept.

9. MikesUber

MikesUber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes like this..

10. Uberdriver2710

Uberdriver2710 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It's for ubertaxi not uberx.

Trafficat likes this.
  11. Karen Stein

Karen Stein Active Member

Hmmm ... A light that lights up only on the customers' request and is controlled by them? Something to help them spot YOU, that separates you from all the other Uber drivers?

Sounds good to me.

This differs from a light that says "I'm open for business" or that says "yes, boss, I have the meter running."

With all the advances in tech, I'd expect the sign to be battery powered and attached with magnets.

Worker Bee and Sgt_PaxHauler like this.
  12. unPat

unPat Well-Known Member

Wow . A permanent fixture on top of my car. Unless they pay me money to keep it there I won't do it . I will quit. The farthest I will go is the uber beacon.

13. Undermensch

Undermensch Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    If Dominos really does cover it's drivers when the sign is on then I don't see how it's any different. It's personal cars covered by a companies insurance policy. Not quite the same as commercial insurance for commercially played vehicles. Go offline? Take the sign off just like a dominos driver does.

14. Ubercycle

Ubercycle Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Uber idea was to launch a transportation cab company everywhere with these options:
    -Unlimited number of cars
    -No medallion needed, no licence or control from the city or state
    Uber is investing right now, spending money, they don't make any money.
    Once Uber became legal in 50 states, or most of them, they will definitely Jump deeply to the taxicab market, and to join Uber you need to pay for the background check and drug screening...
    and have your car painted as Uber taxicab with a specific colour and Logo.
    Uber now is fighting to be legal everywhere, and they know that Using smartphone app is not enough to get the big slice of the taxi and bus users. therefore uber is going to introduce smartphone credit card readers, and Uber prepaid card instead of cash.

15. Trebor

Trebor Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    I was thinking magnets to. Solar cells would be nice. LED's don't take much power, so a good charge should be able to last all day/ all night.

It makes it easier because the light changes to the color the customer wants.

Here's a bright idea though: Read our license plate!

16. RamzFanz

RamzFanz Well-Known Member

You really think pizza delivery people get commercial insurance? Please.

Uber drivers do indeed have commercial insurance in periods 2 and 3. Not sure where you got the idea they didn't.

Sgt_PaxHauler likes this.
  17. Where does Uber come up with these innovative ideas that continually distinguish them from taxicabs?

Bless their hearts.

18. Brian G.

Brian G. Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Nope

LadyDi and TwoFiddyMile like this.
  19. RamzFanz

Sounds like a lot of conjecture to me.

Blackout 702 likes this.
  20. RamzFanz

I think the limit you can charge a ride share is the deduction rate which is far greater than costs for smart drivers so you would be not splitting, but profiting.

Ubers have commercial insurance too.