1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Featured Are you ready to put this crap on the roof of your car?

Discussion in 'News' started by BurgerTiime, Jan 4, 2017.

?
  1. No way!

2. For sure!

3. Only if they pay me!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    http://www.businessinsider.com.au/uber-patented-a-light-up-sign-to-go-on-top-of-cars-2017-1
    Uber patented a light-up sign to go on top of cars
    [​IMG]
    The patent was first filed in May 2014, but was only granted to Uber on January 3. It describes a light bar that sits on top of Uber cars, with a colour-changing section that can be controlled by the passenger’s app. The patent also describes how the entire bar could light up, and passengers could select different patterns.

It’s all meant to make it easier to identify which Uber is your car, and to show passengers the difference between an Uber and a regular car on the road.

jonnyplastic, arto71 and tohunt4me like this.
  2. Another Uber Driver

Another Uber Driver Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    I have, already, a car with something similar. It is called a "taxicab". As long as Uber will pay for the light and the labour on the installation on the UberX car, I will use it.

3. DelaJoe

DelaJoe Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    The light might imply that you are soliciting rides which is illegal. We are not cabs ... we are rideshare. So you can't do anything to hail people off the streets. Putting a neon light on your car roof would be illegal.

melusine3, JMBF831, Reversoul and 9 others like this.
  4. andaas

andaas Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    We're not really rideshare. I mean, unless 90% or more of the rides you provide just happened to be people going the same direction as you.

Uber/Lyft provides transportation network services for vehicles for-hire.

5. supernaut

supernaut Well-Known Member

Um, no...not unless the rates quadruple, anyway.

6. Blackout 702

Blackout 702 Well-Known Member

Unless it's something that I can put up and take down in a few seconds, not happening.

7. supernaut

That thing looks semi-permanent. If you're going to be putting a sign on your roof, you may as well do it for Dominos or Papa John's, and get paid more, as well as some sort of benefits.

It's amazing that Ubes could continue to claim that we're not employees, while introducing something like this. Travis' arrogance knows no bounds.

8. Blackout 702

You must have missed the part of the story where this is a patent that was applied for three years ago and Uber has no plans to use it.

9. supernaut

I did miss that, since it's not in the OP, and I didn't bother to read the whole article.

10. Blackout 702

Clearly.

11. supernaut

"No plans to use it" could change overnight. Let's not forget that. ;)

12. Blackout 702

Lol, ok.

13. Jimmyznutz

Jimmyznutz New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    This might have been the first idea that lead to the beacon and fuber just wanted to make sure that whatever idea they decided to use was patented.

Kembolicous likes this.
  14. yojimboguy

yojimboguy Well-Known Member

Not a chance. I'm not about to disfigure my car for Uber.

15. Dutch-Ub

Dutch-Ub Active Member

It's ment for the sdc. Drivers are more able to look for their PAX.

Kembolicous likes this.
  16. elelegido

elelegido Well-Known Member

I would accept it and then ebay it immediately. Probably worth around 20 - 30 bucks to someone.

17. phillipzx3

phillipzx3 Well-Known Member

You profit from giving total strangers a ride to an unknown (until they tell you) destination. You are not "ride sharing." If you were providing a true rideshare service, you can't make a profit. You can only split the cost.

You can call it whatever you like. Slap lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig . :)

I haven't picked up a street hail (flag) for over 6 years. 100% of my orders come to me via an LTE tablet via our computer dispatch system.

I guess I'm also a "rideshare" service. :)

18. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

At least THEIR signs are aerodynamic !

El Janitor likes this.
  19. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

Come up with a 3-D holograph projector that puts a display floating in air 3' above my car & causes no wind drag and I will leave it on 24-7 !

Kembolicous and El Janitor like this.
  20. yeahTHATuberGVL

yeahTHATuberGVL Active Member

http://www.businessinsider.com/uber...ga=1.163790839.977545374.1483628684&r=UK&IR=T

Uber is currently testing the lights in several markets, whilst having no plans to use the lights in London, where current legislation wouldn't allow them. Patents can take a while to get approval, but a company that has a mockup generally plans on using it, or something similar, and need variations kept off the market.

supernaut likes this.