1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Are you providing a service, or am I?

Discussion in 'Stories' started by Buber2005, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Buber2005

Buber2005 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    So I was on my way to pick up a pax, address and pin location not perfect, as per usual. So I pull slightly through intersection and stop at corner while getting pax on phone. He tells me he's at hooters. "great" I say, "I'm right here on the corner." so this guy then says "wait, you want me to walk down to the corner? Are you providing me a service, or am I doing a service for you?" now, I'll admit, I was not directly in front of the hooters, I was about 100 feet away at the corner. And to get back in front I would have had to go in reverse into an intersection, or circle the block. After that pompous a$$ first comment I said to myself "there is no fu$*in way I would circle the block for this guy. But I want to give another shot so I say" yea man, I hear you, but I'm about 100 feet away and can't get back without circling the block." he goes onto this speech again "are you providing me a service, or am I. I can call another uber." so I said "OK, great, well why don't you just go **** yourself." he thanked me and I promptly cancelled. Never had such an entitled pax before. Did he seriously think I'd pick him up after he tried to put me in my place over the phone? ******* was more interested in showing who is boss than getting home. I sure as hekl wasn't going to let some clown like that get into my car and condescend. Felt good to tell him off though.

2. mmmike

mmmike Active Member

Good on you dude.

3. sporadic

sporadic Well-Known Member

Shoulda circled slowly. Take 5 min. Cancel no show.

4. He fooled you.

They record most calls and he caught you using profanity, he canceled and reported you.

5. unPat

unPat Well-Known Member

they record your calls ? Since when ?

6. Red Leader

Red Leader Well-Known Member

I had a guy who refused to cross an empty 2 lane street that had no parking or bike lanes. So he was literally was about 20 ft from me. He just stood there and pointed at the ground in front of him.

So I gave him the thumbs up and pulled forward into a drive way and then drove back to him....and slowly by him.

He called me and ask why I was driving away. I simply told him...you are an adult. You should be able to figure this out. If you can't, then nothing I can say to you will help you understand.

7. ChortlingCrison

ChortlingCrison Well-Known Member

They don't. I think the one who posted that was the pax the OP got stuck with.

TwoFiddyMile and Grahamcracker like this.
  8. RamzFanz

RamzFanz Well-Known Member

You do that, but learn to use the app first or you'll be walking to them.

Undermensch and Grahamcracker like this.
  9. RamzFanz

RamzFanz Well-Known Member

Awesome.

10. Buber2005

Buber2005 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Here we go with the uber fantasies...that's total bs and would be illegal.

11. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I wouldn't put it past their capability, I'm sure there's somewhere in the contract for both pax and driver that could permit them to listen into phone calls using their system...

...at the very least they probably have recordings with key phrases flaggable. Why wouldn't you keep the phone calls just in case?

Is it still against wiretapping laws if no one actually listened or reviewed the audio? If it was just saved in passing through the routing system?

12. Buber2005

Buber2005 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes, I think still illegal. Tapping a wire is the illegal act, regardless of whether or not the recording is used. No effin way they're recording phone calls. That is way outside of line, extremely resource intensive, and illegal. In order to record lines you have to either disclose to each person every time you are doing it, or have a warrant from a judge.

13. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Could it be legal if it were within the user agreements both pax and drivers sign?

14. yojimboguy

yojimboguy Well-Known Member

I know for a fact Lyft monitors text messages, because they intervened once with their own reply to the pax before I had time to. But I know there would be a different set of laws about texting as opposed to phone calls.

15. Carbalbm

Carbalbm Member

I had a similar experience, except the street was pretty difficult for a driver to get to the other side (long blocks, no u-turns available). I texted him asking if he was going to cross the street. He said no. I said okay. Waited 5 minutes, then canceled and collected my no-show fee. **** you buddy.

Buber2005 likes this.
  16. Trafficat

Trafficat Active Member

My rule is that I cancel on ANY rider that gives me any fuss over the phone. I don't care if I drove 30 minutes to get to them. These are the guys that will 1 star you. It isn't worth picking them up.

17. Buber2005

Buber2005 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    My thoughts exactly. If somebody is giving me a hassle over the phone within the first 15 seconds, God only knows what's in store if you let them enter your vehicle!

18. carcowbow16

carcowbow16 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Kindly requested the rider to cancel, since it was +12 Min. away (and it was an ffn Pooh), my text was such as "pls cancel and request a closer ride, I'm too far away, you will not be charged, thanks". Rider responded with extended text that lectured me I was not allowed to pick the rides and more bs. Just effnn canceled him after 5 min. and collected my lousy $4.

19. shiftydrake

shiftydrake Well-Known Member

Actually it wouldn't be illegal if you guys call a general number that goes through their system the general number more than likely goes through their number and somewhere somehow in all the words that nobody actually reads it says using the Uber system you agree to ALL the terms and conditions.....so listening in would not be illegal

20. Buber2005

Buber2005 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I've read the agreement cover to cover, and nowhere is there any mention of listening to phone calls. Totally illegal.