1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Are we ready for self-driving cars?

Discussion in 'Autonomous' started by WeirdBob, Jan 7, 2017.

1. WeirdBob

WeirdBob Active Member

Are we ready for self-driving cars?

John Gallagher , Detroit Free Press Published 10:19 p.m. ET Jan. 7, 2017

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...ortation-mobility-autonomous-semcog/96159502/

In the push to put autonomous vehicles on the nation's roads, the most challenging aspect might be with the roads themselves, and the bridges, tunnels and other infrastructure.

Cities and states have done little to grapple with the enormous demands that autonomous vehicles will place on transportation infrastructure and on civic policy. States and municipalities barely able to fill potholes today could soon be charged with creating the world’s most sophisticated roads with embedded sensors, cameras and communication devices to help autonomous vehicles talk to one another and the environment around them.

“The vehicle development is way ahead of the public policy,” warns Jonathan Levine, a professor of urban planning and a transportation expert at the University of Michigan. Asked whether cities were doing enough to get ready, he said, “My short answer is no, we’re not doing what we need to be doing yet.”

A year-old report from the National League of Cities found that only 6% of U.S. cities had devoted planning resources to figuring out changes needed to accommodate self-driving vehicles. And only 3% had studied the impact of on-demand transport services like Uber and Lyft, which function as alternatives to traditional taxi services.
    . . .
    What a bunch of worry warts. Self Driving Cars don't need good, well marked roads, or any infrastructure improvements. They can go anywhere, anytime, rain, sleet, or snow. They can figure out detours across parking lots and open fields with the simple wave of a police officer's hand. The best minds of Uber, Carnegie Mellon, and MIT have figured all that out. I know because one of the most brilliant minds in all of UberPeople, RamzFanzRamzFanz says so!

SibeRescueBrian likes this.
  2. RamzFanz

RamzFanz Well-Known Member

LOL, uhhhhhhh, no. The SDC leaders do not ask for any infrastructure changes. Does this guy even know what an SDC is?

I can help. Some dedicated pull over spots in congested areas would be nice, but aren't strictly necessary. Other than that, nothing.

You nailed it. I'm proud of you! Do you even know how they navigate? They need zero lane markings.

Outliers, all will be solved and worked around. Did you not read your own articles?

Maybe instead of thinking up deceiving titles and cherry picking quotes, you should actually read them and present them in a fair and balanced manner so they're actually informative?

3. Jermin8r89

Jermin8r89 Active Member

Y r SDCs not as expenseive as muscle cars? If sufitication and technoligy make things better then i should by a dodge viper cheaper then a tesla. U still have to shift that thing and has terriable fuel mileage. The new viper is so 90s cars. Oh wait its cuz freedom costs more. Bingo! Tesla like cars r propaganda

4. Gung-Ho

Gung-Ho Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Those SDC's are so perfectly perfected now that by Easter 20 million will hit the streets all over the country.