1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Anxiety While Ubering

Discussion in 'Advice' started by PowersAssocitates, Jan 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Invincible

Invincible Well-Known Member

A shot of Jack Daniels never fails, works every time, on the bright side I am brimming with confidence. You might think a random drug test would be the worst case scenario, but the beauty is, that will get you out of Uber and you would finally start looking for a REAL job as you have literally hit the rock bottom and there's no where but to go up.

2. Nightrider9999

Nightrider9999 New Member

I would say it's only natural and deal with it, driving can be very challenging, you have to read every rider , do they want to talk do they want to be left alone , are they drunk yelling screaming while your trying to navigate a difficult area and not miss an exit.

3. Cndragon

Cndragon Member

I was thinking the same thing. I only recently, as in a couple weeks ago, opened up and told everyone, via Facebook, that I was diagnosed with PTSD and depression. Had a moment because my boyfriend broke up with me after I told him. I didn't do anything, he just didn't feel comfortable dating someone who went through what I did and now needs help to cope with it. He told me not to worry, that he won't tell anyone my secret...it was so creepy and he made me feel so gross I kinda cracked and told everyone.

So, I'm still getting used to being open about it. But yeah, not fun to try and justify I'm blowing things out of proportion and people won't be judgemental when someone goes from saying he loves you and thinks the world of you, to deciding he's better off without you and wanting nothing to do with you after opening up.

But I digress.. sorry the breakup only happened a month ago so I'm still sore. But Uber has been great, can't ruminate when I'm focused on not missing my turn in rush hour traffic lol *sigh*

Blackout 702 likes this.
  4. JNM3

JNM3 Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Financially. Yes. All the time.

5. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Well-Known Member

Wow, Dragon. Thats horrible!
    I can't suggest this strongly enough, support groups help big time. You will hear your self saying things like "I thought I was the only one." And they are fun. Most of the laughter comes from laughing at ourselves. Really is a blast and helping others is a great med.

Feel free to PM me for any thing or if you need help finding a group near you.

Blackout 702 likes this.

6. DSB

DSB New Member

Listening to peaceful music helps me all the time, not just when I'm Ubering.

Danny3xd likes this.
  7. UberAnt39

UberAnt39 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    If you're doing Pool or using Uber navigation or chasing 120 trips then stop. That's a big improvement right there. Then try saying to yourself "this doesn't matter, been here before and got stressed but I'm still here, so fk it". Then there's always benzos.

PowersAssocitates and Danny3xd like this.
  8. jp300h

jp300h Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I guess I will finally chime in on this discussion. I tend to not like large, crowded places. A certain anxiety kicks in and my fists clench. However, while in my own vehicle , I feel perfectly fine. While I do incur the occasional social anxiety, uber has not yet triggered it.

Danny3xd and PowersAssocitates like this.
  9. VegasR

VegasR Active Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    I used to have pretty strong anxiety, in general. I've got it down to moderate, and it creeps up with Uber/Lyft. Same reasons mentioned. I'm afraid I'm going to screw it up. I really hate being evaluated by other people.

The best solution I know of is meditation. I'm not into hippy dippy stuff, so I dragged my feat. But a mental coach I respect is a big advocate, so I gave it a shot. First, simple breathing exorcises. Later, I could go for an hour. When I was at that level, I had almost no anxiety. But, I also had very few obligations, so it was easy to work out, meditate, eat well, etc.

Working out will help you too.

Both of these things will help your anxiety in general. Meditation causes physical changes in the brain, that alleviate depression and anxiety. Working out gets the good chemicals flowing, and gives you confidence.

This has a snowball effect. When you feel better, people will respond to you better. When you see people responding to you better, you'll have less to be anxious about. You'll also be less mistake prone, and therefore less worried about mistakes.

I've been so busy, I'm lagging on both practices and sure enough, bad tendencies are creeping in. You need to keep investing in it.

Anyway, here's a little article about meditation's effects on the brain. Again, this is simple stuff. Focus on breathing, mostly. Not trying to teleport to another dimension or commune with God or anything like that.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegw...n-can-actually-change-the-brain/#21c773727023

10. PowersAssocitates

PowersAssocitates Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    • I've hit rock bottom? Thank you for your side commentary on my life which you know nothing about. Don't need to defend myself at all, and not going to, just wanted to reply to your comment. I never mentioned a drug test, and you are the one advocated having a drink before you take passengers so I don't know what you are talking about. Hopefully the moderators report you to uber bc you are the one who seems unsafe and at rock bottom. Your confidence is brimming with alcohol After you drink? I feel bad for you

11. PowersAssocitates

PowersAssocitates Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Thank you for the article and your thoughtful reply. I think you touched on my major issue, I don't like being evaluated or judged on a menial task and I don't want to screw it up. I didn't have a chance to read this article but intend to in a little bit.

I try to be mindful of what is actually bothering me when I have these bouts with anxiety. When I worked full time i felt like this but would puke and soldier on, I find myself not motivated to soldier bc I still have a good amount of savings I guess so I can pay my bills with small money from uber but pretty soon I won't have that luxury and this anxiety is going to get in the way of me making a living. But a couple people on this forum and thread have really helped me and opened my eyes to different aspects of this anxiety and of ridesharing that I didn't see before. SO thank you VegasRVegasR , your posts and Blackout 702Blackout 702 and AllAroundVegasAllAroundVegas are awesome and always help out. You guys are awesome and since we are all in vegas I would love to take you guys out for a coffee/beer/water/carwash lol whichever would be your style. Bc you have all really helped me in this and given good advice and I like to repay kindness and respect with more of the same. So inbox me or reply to me here if you want. If not it's cool too lmao

VegasR, Danny3xd and Blackout 702 like this.
  12. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    I feel for you...

To be honest i'm amazed I don't have PTSD after my time over in Afghanistan.

The most important thing to remember is... People are horrible to other people. It's the most universal part of our culture as human beings.

Judge the crap out of the jerk, you deserve better. If he was worth it he would have stuck around.

Your best bet is to keep going to therapy.

Just keep surviving, just keep living your life. Keep doing the things that make you, you and keep finding a reason to crawl out of bed and go out into the world.

13. Cndragon

Cndragon Member

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. Right now I'm in an upswing and things are holding steady.

14. Cndragon

Cndragon Member

Haha yeah, I still have a hard time judging him. I guess cause I figured as much, hurt when it happened yet a part of me knows he feels like he dodged a bullet. Meh, just yeah honestly, if it weren't for being able to get on the road and Uber I'd probably be a mess.

Which is ironic because I have a limit of how much I can be around other people before I need some serious decompression time...... being a truck driver seems so awesome right about now.

Danny3xd likes this.
  15. Danny3xd

Rock on, Dragon Lady!

Seriously, "holding steady" is a win in it self during a time like your going threw.

Just a thing and I really had to think about this line from a country song'

"If your going threw hell, keep on going" Really is great advise.

Cndragon and Blackout 702 like this.
  16. Danny3xd

I hear you JP.

A loud, sharp noise in a crowded place and I'm ready to start swinging.

jp300h likes this.
  17. Danny3xd

Purty awesome, Vegas! Thanks for posting.

I have never tried meditation but man! does exercising help! Gets them good juices flowing.

18. VegasR

VegasR Active Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    I forgot eating lots of plants, avoiding junk food.

If you want to dip your toe in the water, here are some really good guided meditations put out by UCLA.

http://marc.ucla.edu/mindful-meditations

Start out with the shortest ones (less than 10 mins) and work your way up. Do one before you start every day, and I'll wager you're seeing results after 1 week.

All it really is, is a little work out for your mind.

PowersAssocitates and Danny3xd like this.
  19. Invincible

Invincible Well-Known Member

I guess humor doesn't humor you, It was all a light fun, if you didn't get it no worries, Uber on.
    Reporting me to Uber, moderators? Still in 5th grade? o_O

20. UberDude FL

UberDude FL New Member

I do. But I think it's natural. You have a huge responsibility. Ratings, your car, earnings and the safety of your riders are just a few things that can bring about a bout of anxiety.