1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Anxiety While Ubering

Discussion in 'Advice' started by PowersAssocitates, Jan 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tars Tarkas

Tars Tarkas New Member

Every ride. I don't really like new people and feel judged. I have learned to cope with it by, oddly, not caring much about them. I'm driving them, not putting on a show to be judged. So far, so good.

2. Happyhead

Happyhead Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Oh gaud, that would make it worse, I'd probably have a stroke right in my seat

PowersAssocitates and Danny3xd like this.
  3. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Well-Known Member

Ayup. Me too Happy.

Happyhead likes this.
  4. Gubber Singh

Gubber Singh Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes after a long sex session I am good for a whole 8-hr shift.

Danny3xd likes this.
  5. Beach1967

Beach1967 New Member

First off stop taking responsibility for getting someone some place on time. It is their responsibility to leave on time and anticipate traffic not yours. A persons inadequacy is not my emergency. Second stop worrying about stars. If you get a 1 star, just remember in 500 more rides it will help your rating because it will fall off. They should have the anxiety getting into a car with a person that received a 1 star before....lol....I have received 1 star"s" before they should worry why. lololol Just relax and enjoy a job that has its faults but also has some advantages. Focus on those!!

Danny3xd likes this.

6. Tommy Vercetti

Tommy Vercetti Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I hear you man, the trucking industry is very over looked. Nobody appreciates some of the conditions these truckers have to go through, especially during the winter along those mountain passes. You wanna know anxiety, try getting stuck in a winter storm with that trailer you've been hauling around and you have no power because your diesel has gelled up, and youre now officially in an ice box. Now thats anxiety!

7. PowersAssocitates

PowersAssocitates Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    For you that's anxiety. For someone else it could be just walking outside their home. If you want me to empathize about your trucking then you gotta give a little compassion first

Danny3xd likes this.
  8. Craven Morehear

Craven Morehear Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I had anxiety at first. The zoloft I'm taking daily seems to have done the trick to eliminate it!

Ubergirlzz and Danny3xd like this.
  9. Cndragon

Cndragon Member

You are 100% correct. It's frustrating when someone can't comprehend this... there is no calling in, or phone a friend or what have you. I'm either at 100% or 0% with none of the in-between or even a warning before I dip out that would help me function enough to do those things.

Then indeed, the embarrassment that I couldn't hold it together, the fear of being a disappointment because of it... like I said, right now this is perfect for me because I'm not seeing the same people, every day is a fresh start so none of that is a factor in this. That in and if itself helps me face another day and look forward to getting back on the road.

Hoping my experience and perspective helps give another in a similar situation some hope.

Danny3xd likes this.
  10. Nathan Diaz

Nathan Diaz Well-Known Member

Well it is one of the most dangerous jobs you can imagine, all around the world car accidents are one of the leading cause of... how's that anxiety by the way?

11. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I'm allergic

Gives me migraines

12. roadman

roadman Well-Known Member

not everyone is cut out for this. my advice is to concentrate on knowing the roads and improving your driving skills to gain more confidence.

PowersAssocitates likes this.
  13. Iceagetlc

Iceagetlc Active Member

I only get a anxiety with rude customers because I doubt my decisions in navigating and worry about doing something wrong, but then after the fact I remind myself that one bad rating means literally nothing to me since I go weeks with only 5 stars.

14. I'll Drive

I'll Drive New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm out west and those trucks don't make it at 100+. We had one the other day at I-70 at Eisenhower tunnel , running and missed the run-a- way ramp. Still cleaning up the mess of spilled steel pipe.

15. I'll Drive

I'll Drive New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Its better than a stick in the eye! (author unknown)

16. Purplestardust

Purplestardust Member

Yeah I have. I used to get it so bad before even starting that it would take me two hours to start my first ride. I'd go run errands, grab something to eat and etc to put off that first ride. After a few rides in, I'd ease up. I still get uncomfortable and like someone else said freak out if my Navigation messes up, or if I, God forbid, mess up and I'm not perfect. Someone else posted they used to worry about being judged. I worried about that too, and about people looking down on me, however now, I don't give a damn. I had a horrible situation last night so I'm not sure how I will be going forward.

Cndragon and Danny3xd like this.
  17. Iceagetlc

Iceagetlc Active Member

What happened last night?

18. Danny3xd

You can do this PurpleStardust! I have faith in you.

And really does sound like your making progress and doing it. Sometimes just "doing it" is a win.

The other day I come home, not quite shaking, but close. Onloaded on my house mate whining and moaning. She let me finish and quietly said, "but ya made it out" Out of my room and out of the house. I'm so grateful and damn lucky to have someone like her.

So rock-on, Purplestardust! Great nic, BTW......

19. Danny3xd

LoL

Nathan Diaz likes this.
  20. Danny3xd

I try to do that and take the embarrassment out of this with TMI like stuff. It'd be like having shame from having a cold.

I am really pleasantly surprised at how folks are responding. I was expecting unkind jokes. And really enjoy the good, bad jokes! Did I mention I am mentally ill? SNORK, snicker.

Do wanna mention, anxiety disorders are not the same as being correctly afraid when your falling or some one is trying to kill you. Going onto long, can cause PTSD and now we're going in to a labyrinth of complexity that can take literally years to unravel.

But my point was and is, you guys rock and I enjoy your company. Next round is on me. Sky Lounge next to Bradley (BDI)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017