1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Airport holding zones

Discussion in 'Perth' started by Morton228, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Morton228

Morton228 Member

has anyone been able to work out what the pin actually means? Is it the total of all cars in both zones or is showing the count at the pin which is T1,T2? To me it seems to be the latter.
    I assume there is a Perth based uber monitor for this forum, maybe they could explain? Getting info from Uber is near impossible.

2. UbeRay

UbeRay Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    There are 2 pins.
    One for T1 T2, and one for T3 T4.
    You can't view both at the same time.
    It depends on which direction you are approaching the airport as to which one you can see.
    From the North you can see T3 and T4. From the South T1 T2
    You have to move from one area to the other to see how many is in the queue.
    If you are XL it only gives you your place in the queue for XL not of X. You are still queued for X.
    I haven't picked up one XL ride from the airport yet under new system only X.

3. Morton228

Morton228 Member

Not sure if the direction thing is correct, to me i only see T1,T2. ( I would like to see both)
    Did a drive by of the t3'4 holding yard when the map was showing 8 in t1,2', without actually having to enter the yard I was added to queue in position 14' drove passed and entered tonkin and could see the "main queue" which had 11 cars in it, drove into the yard and become number 8, still not sure how it works.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  4. Ant Man

Ant Man Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yeh its a bit strange the airport queue system, I have been at position 8 in the queue, seen 4 cars drive out and I'm still at number 8.
    Logic would have it that I would go down to number 4 unless those cars where Uber Black vehicles??

5. UbeRay

UbeRay Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Not sure how it works to trigger your place in the queue. I think it is just a general GPS location close to the holding zones not by physically driving into the yards.

The other day I took some Pax from Joondalup into T1 to drop them off.
    Went to toilets in T2 terminal.
    Arrived at holding yard T1 T2 and found six other cars there and I was in position 1 for XL.
    I had just parked up and switched off and got a ping for X for the International Terminal before the other drivers waiting. (This was for a drop off back to Joondalup).
    I presumed that just by driving past the holding area of T1T2 while still on Airport Drive may have triggered a place in the queue before dropping Pax of and going to toilet. (Or is this another example of Ubers algorithms giving you priority for a destination you have just come from ?)

The only problem with that theory is that the other day I left the holding yard while in a queue to go to the toilets at T1T2 and found that I had lost my position in the queue so I left the airport grounds.

Any other theories or instances please add to discussion.

6. jps347

jps347 New Member

I think ratings have something to do with the queuing position, i.e upon entering T1/T2 waiting Zone there were 21 cars showing on App and 21 cars parked up yet I was placed 12th in line!!
    I have a 4.81 rating.
    Seems strange to me..

7. Kiwitrains

Kiwitrains Active Member

Driving:
    UberX

I think You are right there must be something to do with ratings I went in and there were seven on list I went off at number 2 in different direction I came from, my rating is 4.89

8. Brian Mann

Brian Mann New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I dropped some people at the airport just now and kept on driving past as the number was too high, did not want to wait more than an hour, got a job within 5 minutes of leaving the airport. Next time I will drive in and see where I sit in the line before driving past.

Attached Files:

9. Kiwitrains

Kiwitrains Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I cannot believe the number of ants there, they must be mad or having a meeting.

Aujezza and UbeRay like this.
  10. UberDriverAU

UberDriverAU Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    38 in the queue, and over an hour waiting for your next trip. That's 38 fewer out on the roads to worry about. What's the bet they'll complain if they get a short fare?

Kiwitrains and Aujezza like this.
  11. Potsy

Potsy Well-Known Member

If you wait for an hour at the airport or anywhere then uber becomes unfeasible. The only reason we can make money on Sat nights is because we're doing back to back jobs most of the night.
    Even taxis whose rates are a lot higher make the lowest income at the airport because of time wasted. However its still popular as drivers seem to enjoy standing around smoking and chatting with other drivers. Plus airport pax are sober and well behaved but I don't care about that as I'm only looking for income.

12. HumungousDill

HumungousDill Well-Known Member

You're wrong. Uber is already unfeasible at this time of year. There's little difference in waiting 1 hour at the airport to waiting 1 hour in say Dianella. The difference is that you don't waste petrol returning from the airport empty, and you have the chance to bond with the other drivers.

13. UberDriverAU

UberDriverAU Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It all depends on the ratio of demand to supply. NYE is probably the best example of this. Prior to midnight every man and his dog was out trying to make a NYE fortune. After midnight demand:supply was significantly higher and it was worthwhile doing a decent stint behind the wheel. Those who operate a bit more intelligently can make an informed decision as to whether waiting or moving on is the better decision.

14. UbeRay

UbeRay Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    The queuing system is stuffed. No rhyme or reason to who gets a ride. Went to T3T4 today and was position 1 for XL. 24 cars were there and I was supposed to be in the queue of X. Other cars arrived and at the end 32 cars had gone with jobs and I was still sitting waiting. Gave up and went to T1T2 and now position 8 for XL and who knows if I am in X queue. Not hanging around :(

15. Zeal27270808

Zeal27270808 New Member

Me Too, Same problem, as I live a short distance from T3/4, I used to go to T3/4. I now switch on the app at my residence and wait for a ping.

16. Potsy

Potsy Well-Known Member

Uber should explain to us how it works. We are kept in the dark over so many things.

17. UbeRay

UbeRay Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Just been into Osborne Park office to try and sort it out. No real answer as yet as chap in Subiaco has to look into it. Entering the airport area inside the GeoFence triggers the queue as I suspected, it does not rely on driving into the holding yard.
    No explanation yet as to why I couldn't get any trips today. Will go back now and try my luck and take notes of times and number of cars.

18. Morton228

Morton228 Member

So confused about the queue, i live 1k north of t3t4, i can usually see the amount in the queue from home, head out to t1t2 as the queue is around 15, queue displays times out, refresh it , queue is 19, down tonkin, nearing horrie miller, refresh queue and its at 55? drive past the holding pen and its chockers, head out of town as who wants to wait an hour , get to high wycombe and the number is in the 20's , i think uberay is onto something with her s explanation but the results aren't consistent, its the first time I have seen it behave that way,
    Dear uber big brother who monitors this forum, why can't there be a pin for each pen.

19. Potsy

Potsy Well-Known Member

Fugettaboutit.....why would you bother....better to just hang out in the suburbs

Aujezza likes this.
  20. Zeal27270808

Zeal27270808 New Member

I do the same now and make more $$ while the sheep are in the holding areas, as put simply when the cats are away the mice are at play.

Aujezza likes this.