1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Accounting for cyclists isn't easy, say self-driving car companies

Discussion in 'Autonomous' started by WeirdBob, Jan 8, 2017.

1. WeirdBob

WeirdBob Active Member

Accounting for cyclists isn't easy, say self-driving car companies

Rob Price | Jan. 7, 2017, 4:36 AM

http://www.businessinsider.com/self...on-cycling-safety-audi-nutonomy-cities-2016-7

. . .

However, engineers working on the technology say that learning to deal with cyclists is throwing up unique challenges. They're small, fast in urban environments, and nimble — but also relatively slow on open roads, and immensely vulnerable.

"Cyclists are more dynamic than cars. The biggest challenge is to predict their future behavior and driving route. Cyclists can be found on the road and on sidewalks too. Compared to cars they are not limited to only one road space. Sometimes cyclists do not obey traffic rules completely (red light-violators, etc.)," Audi's Dr. Miklós Kiss said.
    . . .

Renault-Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn takes a particularly dim view, telling CNBC in January 2016 that "one of the biggest problems [for self-driving cars] is people with bicycles."

"They don't respect any rules usually," he claimed. "The car is confused by them, because from time-to-time they behave like pedestrians and from time-to-time they behave like cars."
    . . .​

2. everythingsuber

everythingsuber Well-Known Member

For once I empathise with the Robots.

3. WeirdBob

WeirdBob Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

everythingsuber likes this.
  4. RamzFanz

RamzFanz Well-Known Member

I find it interesting how you take an article that is pro-SDC and use exerpts to change the general intent of the author. Even changing the title away from:

Self-driving cars could spark a cycling revolution

You missed this in your Nissan quote: These technological challenges — while tricky — are all theoretically surmountable. Companies like Renault-Nissan say they want autonomous vehicles in commercial production by 2020.

Why is that I wonder?

5. heynow321

heynow321 Well-Known Member

So ramz has to be on the payroll of somebody right? Desperately trying to spread propaganda/disinformation around? most likely uber? He seems to be the only one who can't grasp the many many weaknesses with this new "technology".

6. RamzFanz

I seem to be he only one not altering headlines and cherry picking quotes to present a false narrative.

Yes, I'm on Uber's payroll. As a driver.

7. WeirdBob

WeirdBob Active Member

First: Copyrights. The general fair use guideline is 4 paragraphs. Yes, I pick what I think are relevant paragraphs. I also include links so anyone who wants to can see the entire article. And you have the option to counter.

Now you are telling a falsehood. If you are a driver, you are not on Uber's payroll. You are an independent contractor. In any case, if the SDCs are as imminent as you claim, have you started making exit plans, since you have less than 3 years of driving for Uber left?

8. RamzFanz

Relevant to what? Not relevant to presenting the whole truth and complete message, obviously. Out of context and all presenting a single side of the story.

Definition of payroll
    1. 1 : a paymaster's or employer's list of those entitled to pay and of the amounts due to each

2. 2 : the sum necessary for distribution to those on a payroll; also : the money to be distributed

I don't need this income, I use it as recreational and vacation funds but, yes, of course I'm making exit plans because I like extravagant recreation and vacations for my family when I can. I have opened a small business with a friend that I primarily finance and he runs and it's doing well. Thanks for caring. Maybe if you were to present a balanced outlook others would prepare also?

You can post all the copy and paste nay-sayer stuff you want but the one message I will continue to repeat is that almost all of the major players are saying 2019-2021 for the release of their SDCs. If so, that means we might have 5-7 years before near zero viability as a TNC driver and that may be being over optimistic. They are almost all coming for the TNC market first. It will start with a trickle, but with this many companies in the race, it will become a tidal wave.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  9. UberBlackDriverLA

UberBlackDriverLA Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    "theoretically" surmountable, but not necessarily realistically surmountable.

10. RamzFanz

True. Perhaps in almost the entire world of major auto and technology, over the last decades, they missed something they can't realistically overcome and they're all wrong. It's possible.

It's also possible the theory that gravitational force exists is wrong.

It's seems to me, from what I've read, all they have left to overcome as a group is difficult weather and they have already made quite a bit of progress. The other issues seem to be just programming changes and equipment tweaks.