1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

A good time/place to buy TurboTax?

Discussion in 'Taxes' started by Leaf, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Leaf

Leaf Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Is there a good time or place to buy the TurboTax and have some extra discounts? The Self Employed cost $89.99 right now, and if you add the state for $39.99 and the audit protection for $59.99 that's pretty close to $200!

I feel like that's a lot to pay.

2. A_Driver

A_Driver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Amazon is normally the cheapest I've found. Do the Discover card promo for a free $50 and cancel it.

3. Leaf

Leaf Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I see. I already have a discover card but I don't see TurboTax right now under the merchants with whom they have some deals/discount.

4. A_Driver

Driving:
    UberX
    I bought mine a week or two ago. I have amazon store card so 5% off and no tax. So about 13% cheaper than Walmart :)

5. Leaf

Leaf Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Did you buy the Home & Business edition?
    That one is listed right now for $79.86 and looks like you can download/print and mail your state return without the need for extra cost.

6. A_Driver

Driving:
    UberX
    I use deluxe. I print file my State. Home and business is for self employeed with employees. You can do 1099 in Deluxe. Do some research to make sure of what version you need.

7. Leaf

Leaf Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yep, looks Deluxe is the winner! I see among the forms that they have Schedule C (as well as tons of other forms I don't need) and all for just $49.86 plus a 5% cash back when I use my Discover.
    Thank you A-Driver, you are the man!

8. A_Driver

Driving:
    UberX
    Welcome. I have capital gains this year so we will see how well it works. I've had good luck in the past with Amazon refunding software anyway. I accidentally order Mac and needed PC. They fixed it.

Leaf likes this.
  9. El Gato

El Gato Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
  10. Leaf

Leaf Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Schedule C is available on the Deluxe CD version, not online.

El Gato likes this.
  11. El Gato

El Gato Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Oh...then I may try Costco. They have discounts currently on turbo tax.

12. Leaf

Leaf Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Amazon also has a good discount going on currently. Make sure you get the one for both federal and state.

13. Older Chauffeur

Older Chauffeur Well-Known Member

I picked up T/T Deluxe today at Costco for $39.95 after the $10 instant coupon. I've already run my self employment income/expenses, just answering the questions about both and entering the numbers.

14. El Gato

El Gato Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Another option for you non Costco folks is following the link via your partner app (or online portal I think) on partner rewards to get the Uber discount on Turbo Tax. $69.99 for Turbo Tax Self Employed or bundle with Quickbooks for $12/month for 6 months. I personally contemplated Quickbooks but feel that tracking my business expenses on an excel spreadsheet is a much more affordable option. QB kinda seems like overkill for rideshare, as it also process invoices, payroll, etc. and items that a small business with vendors and employees would greatly benefit from. But, to each their own.